Advice: What discipline fits what I'm looking for?

• Thread starter mr.relativity
  • Start date
In summary: So, in summary, this person is interested in a career in engineering, but is unsure about the field due to the lack of hands-on work. They would like to work in a research and development lab where they can be creative and solve problems.
mr.relativity
I'm currently decisding on my university program, and while I have been researching careers and academic disciplines for a long time, I'm a bit stumped. My main interests are in physics and mechanical engineering (the version of it I have created in my mind, at least), and I also have strong interest in astronomy, chemistry, and biology.

I love the *idea* of engineering, but from what I've read it's usually very theoretical. My dream job would be in a research and development lab where I have a bit of freedom to create new solutions to problems in a hands-on way. I do also enjoy working with designs on paper, but I would like a balance of the two.

An example of what I'm passionate about: When I was a child and I first heard of Archimedes block and tackle pulley system, I was so inspired I spent a full two days designing and drawing up plans for it, and then proceeded to put them in all over my room. I used them to lift my bed, dresser, desk, etc. I was just fascinated with the idea of them, and with mechanical advantage in general.

Is there a career/academic discipline that comes to mind? This is what I wish engineering to be, but from what I've read/heard it's usually solely working with costs and blueprints, with very little if any hands-on work.

Physics news on Phys.org
To be bluntly honest if you only want to work with your hands then be a carpenter. If you want to have a hand in actually designing something and then contracting it out to a construction company (or maybe part of your own engineering company) then you want to be an engineer. Mechanical Engineering is probably the direction you want to go. But as you've already said, the engineer usually comes up with the designs, materials, specifications, etc. They rarely have a hand in the actual construction of something. Plus mechanical engineers design things like *from wikipedia* "... to design and analyze manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, heating and cooling systems, transport systems, aircraft, watercraft, robotics, medical devices and more."

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post, but I am not looking for hands-on only work. I love designing, I just don't want to be stuck behind a desk all the time! :tongue:

Ok, well while Engineers spend a lot of time behind a desk working on computer design software, blueprints, specifications, etc. etc. When it comes time to actually build the thing it's completely up to you, the designer, whether or not you want to get involved. For most engineers who start their own business they tend to contract the work out to a professional construction company, but that doesn't mean the engineer can't get his hands dirty. Your career is what you make of it. No one is going to stop you, the designer, from getting in there and helping with construction of something YOU designed.

Clever-Name said:
Ok, well while Engineers spend a lot of time behind a desk working on computer design software, blueprints, specifications, etc. etc. When it comes time to actually build the thing it's completely up to you, the designer, whether or not you want to get involved. For most engineers who start their own business they tend to contract the work out to a professional construction company, but that doesn't mean the engineer can't get his hands dirty. Your career is what you make of it. No one is going to stop you, the designer, from getting in there and helping with construction of something YOU designed.

Is this necessarily true, though? If I work for a large company are they going to be upset if I am doing the job of a lesser-payed technician if they feel it is not within my scope of work and I should be handling other tasks?

Perhaps it isn't true across all fields of work. I was speaking only to the 'start your own business' standpoint. The only experience I have with this field is that my buddies dad is a self-employed engineer and I've seen how he runs his business. I'm sure some of the engineers on the board will reply soon enough to clear things up

Yeah, I wasn't sure if your last sentence was still part of your "small business or self-employed" viewpoint.
This is still a good question, though, as the idea of implementing some of my own designs does appeal to me. (I was in electrical construction previously, so I do like to work with my hands sometimes).

1. What is the best way to determine which discipline fits my interests and goals?

The best way to determine which discipline fits your interests and goals is to start by identifying what your interests and goals are. Take some time to reflect on what subjects and topics you enjoy learning about, and what career paths you are interested in pursuing. From there, you can research different disciplines and speak with mentors or professionals in those fields to get a better understanding of what each discipline entails and how it aligns with your interests and goals.

2. How do I know which discipline will provide the best job opportunities?

While there is no guarantee that one discipline will provide better job opportunities than another, some factors to consider are the current job market and industry demand for certain skills and knowledge. It can also be helpful to research the job outlook and salary potential for different disciplines. However, it's important to remember that job opportunities can vary and it's important to pursue a discipline that aligns with your interests and strengths.

3. Can I pursue a discipline that is not directly related to my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a discipline that is not directly related to your undergraduate degree. Many graduate programs allow students to switch to a different discipline or offer interdisciplinary programs that combine multiple disciplines. It's important to research the specific requirements and prerequisites for the discipline you are interested in pursuing to see if your undergraduate degree will meet them or if you may need to take some additional courses.

4. What is the difference between a discipline and a field of study?

A discipline is a specific branch of knowledge or field of study, while a field of study is a broader term that encompasses multiple disciplines. For example, psychology is a discipline within the field of social sciences. It's important to consider both the discipline and the field of study when exploring different options for your academic and career path.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a multi-disciplinary approach?

Pursuing a multi-disciplinary approach can offer a range of benefits, such as a broader understanding of a topic or issue, the ability to think creatively and critically from different perspectives, and the opportunity to develop a diverse skillset. It can also open up more career opportunities as many industries and job roles require a combination of skills and knowledge from different disciplines.