Finding an orthonormal basis for a reproducing kernel Hilbert space.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of characterizing a centered Gaussian random process on a manifold using a known covariance function. The approach involves finding a series expansion using orthonormal basis functions. However, there is uncertainty about finding an orthonormal basis for the reproducing kernel Hilbert space. Further consideration reveals that the norm of the RKHS is not necessarily L^2, and a possible solution is to use a countable dense subset of the manifold to obtain a non-orthonormal basis and then use the Gram-Schmidt process to obtain orthonormality. The process is effective for Euclidean spaces, but the applicability to metric spaces is uncertain.
Aimless
Hello all,

I'm currently working on a problem in which I'm attempting to characterize a centered Gaussian random process \xi(x) on a manifold M given a known covariance function C(x,x') for that process. My current approach is to find a series expansion $\xi(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} X_n \phi_n(x)$ where the X_n's are Gaussian random variables with the standard distribution and the \phi_n(x)'s are the orthonormal basis functions of the reproducing kernel Hilbert space H generated by C(x,x'). I'm fairly certain that this procedure works so long as C^{-1}(x,x') exists, since that allows me to define the inner product for the RKHS.

However, I'm not sure how to proceed regarding finding an orthonormal basis for the RKHS. My RKHS should be some subset of L^2(M), so I assume that if I have an orthonormal basis on L^2(M) I should be able to find one for H. Is there a general procedure for this?

Thanks,
Aimless

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Upon further consideration, I realized that I said something incorrect in the above post, but I think I might have also solved my problem. Comments and criticisms appreciated.

First, the mistake. While the RKHS will be composed of some subset of continuous functions on M, the norm will not in general be L^2.

To give a full definition of the RKHS, I start from the family of functions

[itex]S=\{u : M \to \mathbb{R} : u(\cdot) = \sum_{i=1}^n a_{i} C(\cdot,x_i)\}[/itex]

and define an inner product

[itex] \langle u(x),v(y) \rangle = \int_M \, dx \, dy \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^m a_i b_j C(x,x_i) C^{-1}(x,y) C(y,y_j) = \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^m a_i b_j C(x_i,y_j). [/itex]

The Hilbert space H is thus composed of all elements of S such that [itex] \langle u, u \rangle = \sum_{i=1}^n a_{i}^2 C(x_i,x_i) < \infty . [/itex]

So, as a possible answer to my original question, let the points [itex]\{ z_i \}[/itex] be a countable dense subset of M, and I should have a (non-orthonormal) basis for H in the form of the family of functions [itex] \{ C(x,z_i) \} [/itex]. From there, if I apply the Gram-Schmidt process, that should give me orthonormality, correct?

From there, for the purposes of numerically analyzing the Gaussian process [itex]\xi(x)[/itex], it should just be a matter of calculating the [itex] \{ C(x,z_i) \} [/itex] functions on a lattice of points to obtain an approximate solution.

I know that the above will work if M is simply Euclidean space so long as [itex]C^{-1}[/itex] exists. What about metric spaces?

Last edited:

1. What is an orthonormal basis for a reproducing kernel Hilbert space?

An orthonormal basis for a reproducing kernel Hilbert space (RKHS) is a set of functions that are orthogonal to each other and have a unit norm. These functions are used to represent any function in the RKHS as a linear combination of the basis functions.

2. Why is it important to find an orthonormal basis for a RKHS?

Finding an orthonormal basis for a RKHS allows us to simplify the representation of functions in the space, making it easier to perform calculations and manipulate functions. It also helps with generalization and regularization in machine learning models that use RKHS.

3. How is an orthonormal basis for a RKHS determined?

The process for determining an orthonormal basis for a RKHS involves using the reproducing kernel property to find the basis functions that satisfy the orthogonality and unit norm conditions. This can be done analytically or numerically.

4. What are the benefits of using an orthonormal basis for a RKHS?

Using an orthonormal basis for a RKHS allows for efficient and accurate representation of functions in the space. It also simplifies calculations and can improve the performance of machine learning models that use RKHS.

5. Can an orthonormal basis for a RKHS be used for any type of function?

Yes, an orthonormal basis for a RKHS can be used for any type of function that belongs to the RKHS. This includes both smooth and non-smooth functions, as long as they satisfy the reproducing kernel property.