Multiple connected topology and gravitation

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a multiple connected universe, specifically a torus, and the implications of having two well-separated clusters of galaxies within it. It was questioned whether the gravitational influence between the two clusters would proceed through all the different paths in the topology. The conversation also touched on the idea that the global topology may evolve depending on matter/energy flows and concentrations. It was further hypothesized that if the two clusters were located at the largest possible distance on the torus, it would result in an unstable equilibrium configuration. However, this may not necessarily lead to a dramatic collapse if space is dynamic and there is enough expansion rate.
humanino
I can not figure out what is wrong with this : suppose one deals with a multiple connected universe, such as a torus. In order to make it simple, let us imagine we consider two very massive objects in this topology, say two well separated clusters of galaxies whose distances are large compared to their spatial extension. There are several paths from one to the other cluster in the multiple connected torus. So, does the gravitational influence of one to the other proceeds through all the different paths ?

I guess one first has the global topology given, with an average metric overall, and then individual movements can only locally and slightly affect the curvature. Especially, the time required for a signal to achieve the smallest closed path might correspond to the time-life of this universe. I thought it is exactly the case for a spherical universe, and maybe there are deeper reasons for it to hold true in a general, arbitrary configurations. I never heard of such a result, and have been unable to find more information by "googling" or "arXiving" it.

Let me go further to make it clear : suppose both clusters are located at largest distance possible on this torus, at antipodal points or "diametrically opposed". Independent of the expansion of this torus, this is an unstable equilibrium configuration. If for any reason this mutual position changes, it should result in a dramatically divergent collapse. Should it not ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice thoughts.

humanino said:
I guess one first has the global topology given, with an average metric overall, and then individual movements can only locally and slightly affect the curvature.
I think this is correct, if one assumes isotropy. I assume that otherwise the topology may evolve and this may happen depending on matter/energy flows and ‘local’ concentrations.

humanino said:
Let me go further to make it clear : suppose both clusters are located at largest distance possible on this torus, at antipodal points or "diametrically opposed". Independent of the expansion of this torus, this is an unstable equilibrium configuration. If for any reason this mutual position changes, it should result in a dramatically divergent collapse. Should it not ?
This is not necessarily correct if you do not assume that space is static. If space is dynamic and there is enough expansion rate (you may imagine an extreme situation in which the scale factor goes to infinity in a finite time -- some kind of big-rip), both clusters may not collapse, even the galaxies inside them will recede from each other after enough time.

Last edited:

1. What is multiple connected topology in relation to gravitation?

Multiple connected topology refers to the idea that the universe may have a non-trivial topology, meaning that it is not simply connected like a sphere. This means that the universe may have multiple connected regions that are not connected by a continuous path. In relation to gravitation, this can affect the behavior of gravitational fields and how they interact with matter and energy.

2. How does multiple connected topology affect our understanding of gravity?

Multiple connected topology can affect our understanding of gravity in several ways. For example, it can lead to the existence of closed timelike curves, which are paths in spacetime that allow for time travel. It can also affect the curvature of spacetime and the behavior of gravitational waves.

3. What evidence supports the idea of multiple connected topology in the universe?

There is currently no direct evidence for multiple connected topology in the universe. However, some theories, such as the cosmic inflation model, predict that the universe may have a non-trivial topology. Additionally, observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation have revealed anomalies that could be explained by a multiple connected topology.

4. How does multiple connected topology relate to the concept of dark energy?

Multiple connected topology does not directly relate to the concept of dark energy. However, some theories propose that the topology of the universe may affect the distribution of dark energy, potentially influencing its role in the expansion of the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying multiple connected topology and gravitation?

Studying multiple connected topology and gravitation can have practical applications in fields such as cosmology and astrophysics. Understanding the effects of non-trivial topology on gravitational fields can help improve our understanding of the evolution of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies for space travel. Additionally, the study of closed timelike curves could have implications for time travel and the possibility of building a time machine.