Register to reply

? about magnifying lens/parabolic mirrors steam turbine electric generator

Share this thread:
Newtype
Aug22-11, 10:30 AM
P: 39
Ok here's an idea that isn't a perpetual motion machine (it's no more perpetual than solar cells):

Using a big magnifying lens or parabolic mirrors, what are the formulas when either of them are used to evaporate water into water vapor steam to move a turbine to power an electric generator?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
russ_watters
Aug22-11, 11:00 AM
Mentor
P: 22,234
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Solar_Project

Not sure what formulas you are asking about though. What do you want to know/calculate?
sophiecentaur
Aug22-11, 12:45 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,902
To get an idea of the upper limit to the power that such a device could transfer, each metre square of collecting area would capture 1kW of solar power. If you could focus the radiation to produce a nice high temperature then you could perhaps think of getting a small fraction of that in mechanical power. I have a feeling that PV cells would do better; heat engines are not the best way of transferring energy if there is alternative.

Drakkith
Aug22-11, 04:09 PM
Mentor
P: 11,501
? about magnifying lens/parabolic mirrors steam turbine electric generator

Sohpie, do you know what the cost comparison is between a solar panel array and a solar heating generator producing equal power?
sophiecentaur
Aug22-11, 04:39 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Heating is cheap but a heat engine is not.
And the feed in tarif is good.
Drakkith
Aug22-11, 06:43 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
Heating is cheap but a heat engine is not.
And the feed in tarif is good.
Feed in tarif?
sophiecentaur
Aug23-11, 02:29 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
An 'in joke'. The UK government makes the electricity supply companies pay a laughably high rate for small scale feeds to the National Grid.
Drakkith
Aug23-11, 02:33 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
An 'in joke'. The UK government makes the electricity supply companies pay a laughably high rate for small scale feeds to the National Grid.
I think the power company here does the same thing to people who want to tie their own power into the grid as well. I looked into it and it turned out that I would be paying more just in fees than I would make up for by adding enough solar power to cover 50% of my average power use.
sophiecentaur
Aug23-11, 03:22 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
In the south UK, if you have no shadows, then you are very much in profit over several years - if the governmen its word.t keep

Register to reply