Register to reply

? about magnifying lens/parabolic mirrors steam turbine electric generator

Share this thread:
Newtype
Aug22-11, 10:30 AM
P: 39
Ok here's an idea that isn't a perpetual motion machine (it's no more perpetual than solar cells):

Using a big magnifying lens or parabolic mirrors, what are the formulas when either of them are used to evaporate water into water vapor steam to move a turbine to power an electric generator?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
russ_watters
Aug22-11, 11:00 AM
Mentor
P: 22,313
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Solar_Project

Not sure what formulas you are asking about though. What do you want to know/calculate?
sophiecentaur
Aug22-11, 12:45 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,252
To get an idea of the upper limit to the power that such a device could transfer, each metre square of collecting area would capture 1kW of solar power. If you could focus the radiation to produce a nice high temperature then you could perhaps think of getting a small fraction of that in mechanical power. I have a feeling that PV cells would do better; heat engines are not the best way of transferring energy if there is alternative.

Drakkith
Aug22-11, 04:09 PM
Mentor
P: 11,997
? about magnifying lens/parabolic mirrors steam turbine electric generator

Sohpie, do you know what the cost comparison is between a solar panel array and a solar heating generator producing equal power?
sophiecentaur
Aug22-11, 04:39 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
Heating is cheap but a heat engine is not.
And the feed in tarif is good.
Drakkith
Aug22-11, 06:43 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
Heating is cheap but a heat engine is not.
And the feed in tarif is good.
Feed in tarif?
sophiecentaur
Aug23-11, 02:29 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
An 'in joke'. The UK government makes the electricity supply companies pay a laughably high rate for small scale feeds to the National Grid.
Drakkith
Aug23-11, 02:33 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
An 'in joke'. The UK government makes the electricity supply companies pay a laughably high rate for small scale feeds to the National Grid.
I think the power company here does the same thing to people who want to tie their own power into the grid as well. I looked into it and it turned out that I would be paying more just in fees than I would make up for by adding enough solar power to cover 50% of my average power use.
sophiecentaur
Aug23-11, 03:22 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
In the south UK, if you have no shadows, then you are very much in profit over several years - if the governmen its word.t keep

Register to reply