Share this thread:
shayaan_musta
Oct11-11, 09:21 AM
P: 184
Hello experts!
Hope all of you will be fine.

I have an equation i.e. xy=c
And we all know it is hyperbola.

Now I say "graph some of the hyperbolas xy=c". Then kindly tell me how can we extract more than 1 graph from this single equation? And you will write the differential equations for them. while here only 1 hyperbola is given i.e. xy=c.

If you have any confusion about the question the kindly tell me. I will try to clear more.

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
1mmorta1
Oct11-11, 10:56 AM
P: 158
Assuming c is some constant, you have y = c/x. This is a family of graphs, which varies based on values of c. I.E. y = 1/x, y = 2/x, ...y = c/x
shayaan_musta
Oct13-11, 05:12 AM
Quote Quote by 1mmorta1 View Post
Assuming c is some constant, you have y = c/x. This is a family of graphs, which varies based on values of c. I.E. y = 1/x, y = 2/x, ...y = c/x
Oh thanks. It is quite helpful.

shayaan_musta
Oct13-11, 11:29 AM
Graph and Differential equations for hyperbolas

y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=4ax is also a parabola & and y=[itex]\frac{c}{x}[/itex] too?

Is it?
HallsofIvy
Oct13-11, 02:30 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,564
Yes, [itex]y^2= 4ax[/itex] would be a family of parabolas, all passing through (0, 0) having different foci.

I'm not sure what your question about y= c/x is. It is the same as xy= c, your original hyperbola system.
shayaan_musta
Oct14-11, 02:55 AM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Yes, [itex]y^2= 4ax[/itex] would be a family of parabolas, all passing through (0, 0) having different foci.

I'm not sure what your question about y= c/x is. It is the same as xy= c, your original hyperbola system.
My real question as you can see that, how can you plot some hyperbolas families from general equation i.e. xy=c?

This could be y=c/x and therefore some families will be y=1/x, y=2/x, y=3/x..........so on.
Where c=any arbitrary constant.

Am I right?
HallsofIvy
Oct14-11, 08:33 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,564
Yes, that is exactly what it is saying. They will be parabolas having the x and y axes as asymptotes, passing through (1, c) and (-1, -c), for each number c. Be sure to include some values of c negative and c= 0.
shayaan_musta
Oct14-11, 09:53 AM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Yes, that is exactly what it is saying. They will be parabolas having the x and y axes as asymptotes, passing through (1, c) and (-1, -c), for each number c. Be sure to include some values of c negative and c= 0.
As you said c=0 this implies that y=0/x or y=0
Can y=0 be a parabola? Is it so?

Register to reply