Women are crazy. Interpret this text exchange for me, please

by Jack21222
Tags: crazy, exchange, interpret, text, women
MarcoD
Oct20-11, 02:05 PM
P: 98
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
You're right, it's not. It's not even sexist. It's simply saying that most people are thoughtful about the subject. So why would you label that as 'sexist'?
I live in a 'feminine' society. The double standards annoy me, so whenever I feel something is 'sexist,' I'll rather label it such and face it directly.
DaveC426913
Oct20-11, 02:08 PM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by MarcoD View Post
I live in a 'feminine' society. The double standards annoy me, so whenever I feel something is 'sexist,' I'll rather label it such and face it directly.
But it isn't sexist.

"...most people ... accept there are differences between the sexes" is not a sexist statement.
Evo
Oct20-11, 03:42 PM
Mentor
P: 25,932
Quote Quote by maggiemaeu View Post
whoa, whoa. not like that. no insults intended, it was supposed to be all in good fun. i mean, who isn't crazy these days? in some way. again, meant in a harmless way. being crazy could mean being creative. crazy is a compliment!
Ok, I over-reacted. I just am the world's most boring person, there isn't a wild and crazy cell in my body. My idea of cutting loose and going crazy is buying a roasting chicken that's not on sale.
MarcoD
Oct20-11, 04:13 PM
P: 98
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
But it isn't sexist.
I agree, in the sense that 'sexist' usually also implies superiority. But I am strict egalitarian, labeling things 'sexist,' exposes the double standards often used; I have no other labels to use for that, since 'feminist,' is usually a positive label.
Astronuc
Oct20-11, 06:16 PM
Admin
P: 21,634
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Ok, I over-reacted. I just am the world's most boring person, there isn't a wild and crazy cell in my body. My idea of cutting loose and going crazy is buying a roasting chicken that's not on sale.
You're just very creative.

I actually may be more boring.
maggiemaeu
Oct20-11, 09:25 PM
P: 9
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
oh, thank goodness. i've been getting lots of bad comments telling me i did something wrong. maybe its just because i (in theory) haven't the slightest idea what i'm doing.

and the chicken thing isn't that badvery creative, though.

maggiemaeu
Oct20-11, 09:31 PM
P: 9
by the by this woman in question seems like the bad side of crazy. took the overreaction thing to a whole new level. i mean, how are waffles that important? she was spending the whole day with him. i couldn't wait to leave my ex's house-hence ex.
DaveC426913
Oct20-11, 10:47 PM
Quote Quote by maggiemaeu View Post
...i mean, how are waffles that important?
Kind of missing the point. As did the OP.

If one is going to spend an hour making breakfast for someone, and then gets blown off, it's not about the waffles.
Jack21222
Oct21-11, 05:43 AM
P: 771
We have way too many communication breakdowns.

She has been pestering me to see the new Twilight movie when it comes out. I have no interest in it, and have repeatedly told her no, and that I'm sure one of her friends and fellow Twilight fans would see it with her. So last night, she started asking me to go again. I must have told her no 10 times last night. Eventually, she got quiet and we continued watching the TV show. After a few minutes of silence, she walks upstairs and lays down in her bed without saying a word.

After she's not back in 10 minutes and it's time for me to leave (I had a lab report to write last night, due today), I go up and see her laying in her bed, and I assume that she did that because she was mad about the Twilight thing. This puts me in a foul mood, and I don't give her a goodnight kiss before I leave. She texted me after I got home and asked if something has been bothering me, to which I responded that her continuously bugging me about Twilight, and then running upstairs without saying a word is bothering me.

She responds this morning with a 5 page text message explaining that her back pain was acting up and that's why she left. And she wasn't mad about Twilight, she was just teasing me. So now, I feel like a jerk for not comforting her when she was in pain, but to be fair, she gave me no indication that that's why she went to bed. She could have said something as she was leaving. And the way she was talking about seeing Twilight sure didn't feel like teasing; it sounded like she was being serious and getting seriously upset about it.

So, I don't know. We just don't know how to communicate with one another, I guess.
lisab
Oct21-11, 09:22 AM
Mentor
P: 2,915
Quote Quote by Jack21222 View Post
We have way too many communication breakdowns.

She has been pestering me to see the new Twilight movie when it comes out. I have no interest in it, and have repeatedly told her no, and that I'm sure one of her friends and fellow Twilight fans would see it with her. So last night, she started asking me to go again. I must have told her no 10 times last night. Eventually, she got quiet and we continued watching the TV show. After a few minutes of silence, she walks upstairs and lays down in her bed without saying a word.

After she's not back in 10 minutes and it's time for me to leave (I had a lab report to write last night, due today), I go up and see her laying in her bed, and I assume that she did that because she was mad about the Twilight thing. This puts me in a foul mood, and I don't give her a goodnight kiss before I leave. She texted me after I got home and asked if something has been bothering me, to which I responded that her continuously bugging me about Twilight, and then running upstairs without saying a word is bothering me.

She responds this morning with a 5 page text message explaining that her back pain was acting up and that's why she left. And she wasn't mad about Twilight, she was just teasing me. So now, I feel like a jerk for not comforting her when she was in pain, but to be fair, she gave me no indication that that's why she went to bed. She could have said something as she was leaving. And the way she was talking about seeing Twilight sure didn't feel like teasing; it sounded like she was being serious and getting seriously upset about it.

So, I don't know. We just don't know how to communicate with one another, I guess.
Oh that's way, way too much drama.

If it's not too personal - how old are you both? And is this the first serious relationship for either of you?
micromass
Oct21-11, 09:27 AM
Mentor
P: 16,581
If it means so much to her, just go see the movie. You should make some sacrafices for the people you love. Seeing a stupid movie is one of them.
nucleargirl
Oct21-11, 10:12 AM
P: 126
Yeah, its about compromise. if something mean that much to her, and she wants to share it with you, then just go along and try to enjoy it for her sake! you shouldn't assume you know what she's thinking either - if you are not sure why she went upstairs, ask her whats bothering HER. It seems you always just think about what you want, and think the worst of her. She doesn't sounds crazy at all, if anything, she sounds like she's in love with you and wants to spend all her time doing things with you. You could have it so much worse! you should treat her better and appreciate her more.
micromass
Oct21-11, 10:13 AM
Mentor
P: 16,581
Quote Quote by nucleargirl View Post
you should treat her better and appreciate her more.
Quoted for truth
nucleargirl
Oct21-11, 10:15 AM
P: 126
and its really not very good of you to complain about her and call her crazy behind her back... I think, if you don't start appreciating her, eventually she will leave you. And then you will regret it.
dacruick
Oct21-11, 10:41 AM
P: 1,084
In all fairness to the OP, I would never ever go see twilight. Its made specifically for teenage girls.

And Jack, she wasn't teasing you about twilight. She really wanted to go see it with you, and that IS why she went up to bed. She thought about it and realized that she was being kind of silly so she decided that it wasn't worth it. She told you that she was teasing you because thats how she feels about it now. I think she realized that she might be too sensitive sometimes and wants to try to see it your way, and not take things so personally. I don't really have information to back all/any of this up, but it's just an opinion:)
DaveC426913
Oct21-11, 10:45 AM
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
(Post went missing. If it was deleted deliberately, then my mistake for reposting)

Whereas in the first scenario we at least had a verbatim account of the text exchange, in this case, we are getting only one (highly subjective) side of the story. It is doubtful that Jack would deliberately reveal his own culpability. It is even more doubtful that he realizes (like all of us, no offense intended Jack) that he might have some culpability.

So, the only answer I can give is that none of us can judge the scenario objectively.

Jack, you should know better than to post your side of the story and then expect to get anything other than what you want to hear.
BobG
Oct21-11, 01:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
Quote Quote by Jack21222 View Post
She responds this morning with a 5 page text message explaining that her back pain was acting up and that's why she left. And she wasn't mad about Twilight, she was just teasing me. So now, I feel like a jerk for not comforting her when she was in pain, ....
Ooh, she's good!

You should redeem yourself and not only go see the Twilight movie with her, but pay for it!
Jack21222
Oct21-11, 09:49 PM
P: 771
Quote Quote by lisab View Post

If it's not too personal - how old are you both? And is this the first serious relationship for either of you?
She's 27, I'm 28. It's her second relationship of any kind, and it's my 6th or 7th serious relationship.

Quote Quote by micromass View Post
If it means so much to her, just go see the movie. You should make some sacrafices for the people you love. Seeing a stupid movie is one of them.
See, I disagree that that's what relationships are about. I shouldn't have to do anything I really don't want to do, and neither should she. She has friends she can see the movie with, she does not need to drag me along. I think it's rather rude of her to keep pestering me about this when it's clear I'm not interested. Why would she want me to have a bad time? What kind of sadist does that?

Yeah, its about compromise. if something mean that much to her, and she wants to share it with you, then just go along and try to enjoy it for her sake! you shouldn't assume you know what she's thinking either - if you are not sure why she went upstairs, ask her whats bothering HER. It seems you always just think about what you want, and think the worst of her. She doesn't sounds crazy at all, if anything, she sounds like she's in love with you and wants to spend all her time doing things with you. You could have it so much worse! you should treat her better and appreciate her more.
Sometimes, I think I could have it so much better and just be alone.

and its really not very good of you to complain about her and call her crazy behind her back... I think, if you don't start appreciating her, eventually she will leave you. And then you will regret it.
Here's hoping.

Register to reply