Register to reply

Flow rate calculation question

by monet man
Tags: calculation, flow, rate
Share this thread:
monet man
Oct29-11, 02:21 PM
P: 1
Hello all. I am new to this forum. I am an electrical engineer, and I am working on a system which requires me to calculate a flow rate. Once I know this, I can continue with the design. Since I am an electrical engineer, I have insufficient knowledge of fluid dynamics to know how to set up the necessary equation(s) to compute the needed information. That being stated, I will tell all that I can about the system variables, and hopefully if I have given enough info, I will get some assistance in setting up the equation.

I have a cubic (6-sided) liquid reservoir which will contain hydrochloric acid (30% ~ density 1149 kg/m^3).

The bottom side of this reservoir has a 1" (2.54cm) hose that is used to drain this tank.

The hose is connected to a valve with a sharp-edged opening (orifice coefficient,Co, I assume is 1 (?)) which measures 3/8" (0.9525cm) in diameter.

I need to calculate the time that it will take the tank to drain. For calculation purposes, say that the tank is 1m x 1m x 1m, and the tank is full (height of HCl = 1m).

I feel that the height must be a variable for integration (i.e. dV/dy)...but I also want to know the height of HCl in the tank at any given time (i.e. dV/dt). I have been looking online for the answers all day, but my head is starting to hurt from all of the information that I am finding, and I think that I am making this way too complicated for myself. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
An innovative system anticipates driver fatigue in the vehicle to prevent accidents
Squink personal factory aims to make circuit prototyping easy
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
Highway
Oct29-11, 05:41 PM
P: 349
Bernoulli's: http://www.efunda.com/formulae/fluids/draining_tank.cfm

Did you run into this while googling?
BadBrain
Oct29-11, 07:16 PM
P: 197
monet man:

Try figuring Bernouli's Equation for youself.

See:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/be...ion-d_183.html

gsal
Oct31-11, 08:03 AM
P: 872
Flow rate calculation question

This matter has also been discussed a few times in this forum...here is one thread

Register to reply