Flow rate calculation question

In summary, Bernoulli's equation is a mathematical equation that calculates the flow of fluid through an opening. It is used in the study of fluid dynamics.
monet man
Hello all. I am new to this forum. I am an electrical engineer, and I am working on a system which requires me to calculate a flow rate. Once I know this, I can continue with the design. Since I am an electrical engineer, I have insufficient knowledge of fluid dynamics to know how to set up the necessary equation(s) to compute the needed information. That being stated, I will tell all that I can about the system variables, and hopefully if I have given enough info, I will get some assistance in setting up the equation.

I have a cubic (6-sided) liquid reservoir which will contain hydrochloric acid (30% ~ density 1149 kg/m^3).

The bottom side of this reservoir has a 1" (2.54cm) hose that is used to drain this tank.

The hose is connected to a valve with a sharp-edged opening (orifice coefficient,Co, I assume is 1 (?)) which measures 3/8" (0.9525cm) in diameter.

I need to calculate the time that it will take the tank to drain. For calculation purposes, say that the tank is 1m x 1m x 1m, and the tank is full (height of HCl = 1m).

I feel that the height must be a variable for integration (i.e. dV/dy)...but I also want to know the height of HCl in the tank at any given time (i.e. dV/dt). I have been looking online for the answers all day, but my head is starting to hurt from all of the information that I am finding, and I think that I am making this way too complicated for myself. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org

I would suggest approaching this problem by first understanding the basic principles of fluid dynamics. The flow rate of a liquid is determined by the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account factors such as the fluid density, pressure, and velocity. In this case, the velocity of the liquid flowing through the hose can be calculated using the equation Q = A * v, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the hose, and v is the velocity of the liquid.

To calculate the velocity, you will need to consider the pressure difference between the top of the tank and the end of the hose, as well as any losses due to friction or changes in elevation. This can be done using the Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant throughout the system.

In addition to the Bernoulli's equation, you will also need to consider the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate of a fluid remains constant throughout the system. This equation can be used to calculate the height of the liquid in the tank at any given time.

Once you have a better understanding of these principles, you can use them to set up the necessary equations and solve for the flow rate and time it will take for the tank to drain. It may also be helpful to consult with a fluid dynamics expert or refer to textbooks or online resources for further guidance.

In conclusion, while it may seem daunting at first, with a solid understanding of fluid dynamics principles and equations, you should be able to accurately calculate the flow rate and time for your system. Good luck!

1. What is flow rate and why is it important?

Flow rate is the volume of fluid that passes through a given point in a specified amount of time. It is an important measure in fluid dynamics as it helps determine the efficiency of a system, such as a pipeline or pump, and can also indicate the presence of any blockages or leaks.

2. How is flow rate calculated?

The formula for calculating flow rate is Q = V/t, where Q is the flow rate, V is the volume of fluid, and t is the time it takes for the fluid to pass through the point of measurement. Flow rate can also be calculated using other variables such as velocity, cross-sectional area, and pressure.

3. What units are used to measure flow rate?

Flow rate can be measured in various units depending on the type of fluid and the system being measured. Some common units include liters per second (L/s), cubic meters per hour (m3/h), gallons per minute (GPM), and cubic feet per second (ft3/s). It is important to use the appropriate units for accurate calculations.

4. How does flow rate affect pressure?

Flow rate and pressure are inversely related, meaning that as flow rate increases, pressure decreases and vice versa. This is known as Bernoulli's principle, which states that an increase in the speed of a fluid results in a decrease in its pressure.

5. What factors can affect flow rate?

There are several factors that can affect flow rate, including the properties of the fluid (viscosity, density), the size and shape of the conduit or pipe, and the presence of any obstructions or restrictions. Changes in temperature and pressure can also affect flow rate.