Typesetting Dotless i and j with LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about how to get dotless i and j in LaTeX on the forums. The issue is that \i and \j do not work for this, but using \imath and \jmath with carets can represent unit vectors. However, the problem is that these symbols cannot be typeset in boldface and upright as traditional vectors. A suggested solution is to use unicode, defined by a macro for \i and \j, but it is mentioned that these definitions may be local to the post. There is also discussion about using \! to insert a small negative space and overlapping two dotless i's to create a thicker one.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm wondering how to get dotless i and j in LaTeX on the forums. For some reason, \i and \j don't work for this. I can use \imath and \jmath, and I can even get carets on them to represent unit vectors:

[tex] \hat{\imath}, \hat{\jmath} [/tex]

The only remaining problem is that I can't get them to be typeset in boldface and upright as vectors traditionally are. If I do this hack:

[tex] \hat{\textbf{$\imath$}}, \hat{\textbf{$\jmath$}} [/tex]

then I can get them boldface, but still not upright. I think that the glyphs for \imath and \jmath are inherently italicized and there is no way to change this. Any suggestions for the OCD among us?

Physics news on Phys.org
From
http://groups.google.com/group/math...roup/mathjax-users/browse_frm/month/2010-11?&
MathJax can use unicode...

[tex]\mbox{abcdefgh}\ \unicode{x0131}\unicode{x0237}\ \mbox{klmnopqrstuvwyz}[/tex]

You could define a macro for \i and \j
[itex]\def\i{\unicode{x0131}} \i [/itex] [itex]\def\j{\unicode{x0237}} \j [/itex] (right-click show source)

then use it later
[tex]\i i\mbox{i}[/tex] [tex]\j j\mbox{j}[/tex]

robphy said:
From
http://groups.google.com/group/math...roup/mathjax-users/browse_frm/month/2010-11?&
MathJax can use unicode...

[tex]\mbox{abcdefgh}\ \unicode{x0131}\unicode{x0237}\ \mbox{klmnopqrstuvwyz}[/tex]

You could define a macro for \i and \j
[itex]\def\i{\unicode{x0131}} \i [/itex] [itex]\def\j{\unicode{x0237}} \j [/itex] (right-click show source)

then use it later
[tex]\i i\mbox{i}[/tex] [tex]\j j\mbox{j}[/tex]

So, definitions that people make using \def are universal and permanent (or at least persist until some user gives the same macro a different definition)?

In any case, it still doesn't work:

[tex]\def\i{\unicode{x0131}} \hat{\mathbf{\i}} [/tex]

How's this?

[itex]\def\ihat{\hat{\unicode{x0131}\!\!\unicode{x0131}}} \ihat [/itex] [itex]\def\jhat{\hat{\unicode{x0237}\!\!\!\unicode{x0237}}} \jhat [/itex]

[tex] 8\ihat + 6\jhat[/tex]

I suspect your \defs are local to your post.

robphy said:
How's this?

[itex]\def\ihat{\hat{\unicode{x0131}\!\!\unicode{x0131}}} \ihat [/itex] [itex]\def\jhat{\hat{\unicode{x0237}\!\!\!\unicode{x0237}}} \jhat [/itex]

[tex] 8\ihat + 6\jhat[/tex]

I suspect your \defs are local to your post.

That's very interesting! I just read that \! inserts a small negative space. So you have two unicode dotless i's slightly overlapping each other to produce a thicker one. It's very clever. Why the extra space for the j? Why not:

[itex]\def\jhat{\hat{\unicode{x0237}\!\!\unicode{x0237}}} \jhat [/itex]

Ah. That's why. A line thickness problem.

1. What is the purpose of typesetting dotless i and j with LaTeX?

The purpose of typesetting dotless i and j with LaTeX is to create a consistent and professional-looking document that adheres to standard typographical rules. Dotless i and j are commonly used in languages such as Turkish, where they represent distinct letters, and in mathematical notation, where they are used to denote imaginary numbers.

2. How can I typeset dotless i and j in LaTeX?

To typeset dotless i and j in LaTeX, you can use the commands \imath and \jmath, respectively. These commands will produce a dotless i or j in the current font style. Alternatively, you can use the \dotlessi and \dotlessj commands, which will produce a dotless i or j regardless of the font style.

3. Can I change the appearance of dotless i and j in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the appearance of dotless i and j in LaTeX by using the \mathbf or \mathit commands to make them bold or italic, respectively. You can also use the \mathrm command to make them appear in the standard font style.

4. Are there any packages or extensions that can help with typesetting dotless i and j in LaTeX?

Yes, there are several packages and extensions available for typesetting dotless i and j in LaTeX. Some popular ones include the fontspec package, which allows for more customization of fonts, and the unicode-math package, which supports Unicode characters and can be used for dotless i and j in conjunction with the \imath and \jmath commands.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when typesetting dotless i and j in LaTeX?

One common mistake to avoid when typesetting dotless i and j in LaTeX is forgetting to use the appropriate font commands. If you use the \mathit command, for example, but forget to use the \jmath command, the letter j will still have a dot. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the font you are using has a dotless i and j character available. If not, you may need to use a different font or consider using a package like fontspec to access a wider range of characters.