Please check my work: Probability Theory

In summary, the conversation is about finding the densities of two random variables, X and Y, where X is the absolute value of a standard normal random variable and Y is the square of the same variable. The densities for X and Y are determined to be √(2/π) e-x2/2 and 1/√(2*π) 1/√y e-y2/2, respectively. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of chi-squared distributions in testing goodness of fit and calculating confidence intervals for variances.
Bachelier
Let K be a standard normal random variable. Find the densities of each of the following random variables:

X= |K|

Y = K2

I get:

fX(x) = √(2/π) e-x2/2

and

fY(y) = 1/√(2*π) 1/√y e-y2/2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it's correct

For the Y random variable, it is definitely a chi-squared distribution with 1 degree of freedom.

chiro said:
For the Y random variable, it is definitely a chi-squared distribution with 1 degree of freedom.

We skipped the Chi-Squared dsn. I think I should read about it on Wikipedia. Where is it mostly used in?

Bachelier said:
We skipped the Chi-Squared dsn. I think I should read about it on Wikipedia. Where is it mostly used in?

Chi-squared distributions are used in a variety of cases.

One application is what is called goodness of fit. This is used to test how an observed set of frequencies are fitted to some expected set of frequencies.

Another application is for representing the sampling distribution of the ratio of the sample variance to the true variance. Given your degrees of freedom, you get a distribution that allows you to calculate a confidence interval for the ratio of sample variance to true variance, which effectively allows you to get an interval for your variance since you can calculate your sample variance from your data.

These uses are for classical frequentist statistics where these rely on asymptotic results.

Thanks Chiro

1. What is probability theory?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random phenomena. It is used to predict the likelihood of events occurring based on mathematical principles and assumptions.

2. Why is probability theory important?

Probability theory is important because it helps us make informed decisions by providing a framework for understanding and quantifying uncertainty. It is used in a wide range of fields, including science, economics, and engineering.

3. What are the basic concepts of probability theory?

The basic concepts of probability theory include sample space, events, and probability. Sample space refers to the set of all possible outcomes of an experiment, events are subsets of the sample space, and probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring.

4. How is probability calculated?

Probability can be calculated using various methods, depending on the type of experiment and the information available. For simple events, probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For more complex events, probability is calculated using mathematical formulas and principles.

5. What are some real-world applications of probability theory?

Probability theory has numerous real-world applications, such as in weather forecasting, risk analysis, and medical diagnosis. It is also used in gambling, insurance, and sports betting to calculate the likelihood of certain outcomes and make informed decisions.