Register to reply

Please check my work: Probability Theory

by Bachelier
Tags: check, probability, theory, work
Share this thread:
Bachelier
Nov19-11, 08:37 PM
P: 376
Let K be a standard normal random variable. Find the densities of each of the following random variables:

X= |K|

Y = K2

I get:

fX(x) = √(2/π) e-x2/2

and

fY(y) = 1/√(2*π) 1/√y e-y2/2
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Bachelier
Nov19-11, 11:00 PM
it's correct
chiro
Nov20-11, 12:27 AM
P: 4,573
For the Y random variable, it is definitely a chi-squared distribution with 1 degree of freedom.

Bachelier
Nov20-11, 12:58 AM
Please check my work: Probability Theory

Quote Quote by chiro View Post
For the Y random variable, it is definitely a chi-squared distribution with 1 degree of freedom.
We skipped the Chi-Squared dsn. I think I should read about it on Wikipedia. Where is it mostly used in?
chiro
Nov20-11, 01:20 AM
P: 4,573
Quote Quote by Bachelier View Post
We skipped the Chi-Squared dsn. I think I should read about it on Wikipedia. Where is it mostly used in?
Chi-squared distributions are used in a variety of cases.

One application is what is called goodness of fit. This is used to test how an observed set of frequencies are fitted to some expected set of frequencies.

Another application is for representing the sampling distribution of the ratio of the sample variance to the true variance. Given your degrees of freedom, you get a distribution that allows you to calculate a confidence interval for the ratio of sample variance to true variance, which effectively allows you to get an interval for your variance since you can calculate your sample variance from your data.

These uses are for classical frequentist statistics where these rely on asymptotic results.
Bachelier
Nov20-11, 01:35 PM
Thanks Chiro

Register to reply