Magnetic H field for a rectangular loop antenna

In summary, to accurately calculate the magnetic H field for a rectangular loop antenna made from copper tape, you will need to use the Biot-Savart law and consider the skin effect. This will require breaking down the antenna into small segments and integrating over each segment.
iliefinis
Hi,

Homework Statement

How can I calculate the magnetic H field for a rectangular loop antenna (L x W) at a distance of x, which is made from copper tape with 30 um thickness and width of the tape from 1 to 5 cm. For the same antenna made ​​of wire I applied next formula:
H=(I*L*W)/(4π√((L/2)^2+(W/2)^2 +x^2 ))*(1/((L/2)^2+x^2 )+1/((W/2)^2+x^2 )) (RFID Handbook Second Edition 4.1.1.1 Path of field strength H(x) in conductor loops pp 65)

Homework Equations

I need an formula for magnetic H field for a rectangular loop antenna (L x W made from copper tape)

or

formula for calculating the magnetic H field for a rectangular conductor?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this solution but I do not know if it is the best approach

http://www.ntmdt.com/spm-basics/view/magnetic-field-rectangular-wire

PS: I sorry for my bad English

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. The formula you have used for the wire antenna is a good starting point, but it may not be accurate for a rectangular loop antenna made from copper tape. The reason for this is that the shape and material of the conductor can affect the magnetic field distribution.

To accurately calculate the magnetic H field for a rectangular loop antenna made from copper tape, you will need to use a more complex equation that takes into account the geometry and material properties of the antenna. This equation is known as the Biot-Savart law, and it describes the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying conductor.

The Biot-Savart law is given by:

H = (I * μ0) / (4 * π) * ∫(dl x r) / r^3

Where:
H is the magnetic field
I is the current in the conductor
μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π * 10^-7 H/m)
dl is the differential length element of the conductor
r is the distance from the differential length element to the point where the magnetic field is being calculated

To use this equation, you will need to break down the loop antenna into small segments and integrate over each segment to find the total magnetic field at a given distance. This integration can be done numerically using a computer program or by hand using calculus.

In addition to the Biot-Savart law, you will also need to consider the skin effect, which describes how the magnetic field is distributed within the conductor. This effect is more pronounced for thin conductors like copper tape, so it is important to take it into account in your calculations.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the purpose of the H field in a rectangular loop antenna?

The H field, also known as the magnetic field, is an essential component of a rectangular loop antenna. It is responsible for creating an alternating current in the antenna, which allows it to transmit and receive electromagnetic waves.

2. How is the H field generated in a rectangular loop antenna?

The H field is generated by the flow of current through the antenna's conductive material. As the current flows through the loop, it creates a magnetic field that extends both inside and outside the antenna.

3. How does the size of the loop affect the strength of the H field?

The strength of the H field is directly proportional to the size of the loop. This means that a larger loop will produce a stronger H field, while a smaller loop will produce a weaker H field. However, the size of the loop also affects other factors such as the antenna's resonant frequency.

4. Can the orientation of the loop affect the direction of the H field?

Yes, the orientation of the loop can affect the direction of the H field. The H field is perpendicular to the direction of the current flow in the loop, so changing the orientation of the loop will change the direction of the H field.

5. How does the H field interact with other electromagnetic fields?

The H field interacts with other electromagnetic fields through the process of induction. When the H field from a rectangular loop antenna comes into contact with the electric field of another antenna or source, it can induce a current in the other conductor, allowing for communication or energy transfer between the two antennas.