Register to reply

Is it possible to use multiple network adapters at the same time?

by swuster
Tags: adapters, multiple, network, time
Share this thread:
swuster
Nov28-11, 02:48 AM
P: 42
My current problem:

I have a machine sending a file every few seconds over its wired connection. While this is occurring, I want to be able to access a wireless network and download a file from a mapped network drive without interrupting the aforementioned file transfers. Any suggestions as to how I might go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Routaran
Nov28-11, 11:48 AM
P: 292
I am assuming you are asking this because you want to keep the speed of the transfers at a maximum. The choke point of the data transfers is not your network speeds but usually the read/write speed of you hard drive. this is why servers usually use 10k or 15k RPM drives in raid arrays, to catch up to network speeds.
you can have multiple connections at any given time. windows will decide which connection to use based on what it thinks is the fastest. AFAIK, you cant really pick.
in anycase, you should be able to send files out and download files at the same time without any problems. but if the read & write actions are taking place on the same HDD, it will slow both processes down if you run them together.
rcgldr
Nov28-11, 03:53 PM
HW Helper
P: 7,033
You didn't mention where the file is being sent to, versus where the other file is being downloaded from. If the destination computer for the sent file is different than the source computer for the received file and each is on a different network, then the computer names will determine which network is used for each transfer.

As mentioned, the main issue is the hard drives. You'd want the the sent file being read from one hard drive, and the downloaded file being written to a second hard drive.

swuster
Nov29-11, 06:10 PM
P: 42
Is it possible to use multiple network adapters at the same time?

Sorry, right. The machine that I'm sending files to is not the same as the one I am receiving files from, nor is it on the same network. Using separate drives shouldn't be an issue; I really just wanted to make sure that I would be able to handle switching between the two adapters in such a way.

Register to reply