How do you Train in physics when you have LITTLE previouse education

In summary, to become a physicist you need a good understanding of math and physics, and some previous education. You can start by looking into open university courses.
leeh27uk
How do you Train in physics when you have LITTLE previouse education!

HI,
I'm a 27 year old guy from the u.k, I have little previous education apart from my G.C.S.E's from when i was 16. A few years ago i stumbled across quantum physics and after constant research online i discovered that not only did i love physics as a whole but seemed to be able to understand and remember it fairly easily (to a point obviously). Iv never really found which direction i wanted to go with my life but after finding physics (in many forms) i seemed to find a direction so iv decided to look into open university courses. Iv just signed up to do a short course in Nuclear physics to ease me into the whole thing but after that, were do i start? Wot would the correct course be to take second and is it possible to get a degree in this doing the open university and not having A levels to start?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

How is your math?? Before you can even start thinking about physics, you need to know quite a bit of math. Studying calculus and differential equations is absolutely essential.

ok thanks, that helps! my math isn't great but it isn't terrible either. although saying that i haven't really looked at much or either of those. so if i worked hard on my math then id find the physics courses a lot easier to digest! funnily enough i saw a short course on open uni site today called "maths in science" mmmmm!

If you want a rough idea of what more advanced level physics looks like you should check out leonard susskinds lectures on youtube, they're pretty beginner friendly and at the same time show you some of the deeper concepts in physics

thats great thank you... iv spent the last couple of hours watching one of his lectures of einsteins theory of relativity,considering i have no past experience i understood the majority of it and even managed to follow all the calculus! great advice thank you,and i shall continue to watch and learn it can only help!

I don't know the relationships bettween A-Levels and Colleges, if there are colleges that accept students without there A-Levels then you can do that, if not, only way I see is try to learn as much as you can about physics and math, and then try sending e-mails to research centers, telling you are willing to be a volunteer and work atleast 4 hours a day to learn, tell them your story tell them what you know, and surely your job opportunitys in physics research will come not at first but give it atleast 6 months or until you prove yourself to them. Peace and good luck

FAQ: How do you Train in physics when you have LITTLE previouse education

1. How much previous education is required to train in physics?

The amount of previous education required to train in physics can vary depending on the specific program or institution. However, most programs will require at least a high school diploma or equivalent, and some may also require specific coursework in math and science. It is also beneficial to have a strong foundation in algebra and calculus.

2. Can someone with no previous education in physics still train in the field?

Yes, it is possible for someone with no previous education in physics to train in the field. Many universities offer introductory courses for students with little background in physics, and some programs may even have specific tracks for students with limited prior knowledge. However, it may require additional effort and dedication to catch up to other students who have more experience in the subject.

3. How long does it take to train in physics with little previous education?

The length of time it takes to train in physics with little previous education can vary depending on the individual's dedication and the specific program they are enrolled in. On average, it can take 4-5 years to complete a bachelor's degree in physics, and additional time may be needed for graduate studies or research opportunities.

4. What skills are necessary to train in physics with little previous education?

To train in physics with little previous education, it is important to have a strong understanding of math, particularly algebra and calculus. Critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a curiosity about the natural world are also important traits for success in physics. Additionally, having the ability to work independently and in a team, as well as strong communication skills, can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any resources available for individuals with little previous education to train in physics?

Yes, there are many resources available for individuals with little previous education to train in physics. These can include online courses, textbooks, educational videos, and tutoring services. Many universities also offer support services for students who may need additional help in certain subjects. It is also helpful to connect with professors and peers for guidance and support in your studies.