Why Did a Cumulus Cloud Change Colors When Viewed Through Polarized Sunglasses?

In summary, a person wearing polarized sunglasses noticed that a single cumulus cloud appeared yellow when viewed through them, but returned to white when the glasses were removed. This change in color could be due to the scattering and polarization of different wavelengths of light within that specific cloud at that moment.
questionpost
One day I just put on my polarized sunglasses, and on the road, I looked at cumulonimbus cloud probably in the congestus stage in a system with many other cumulus clouds (those big puffy clouds), and a single giant cumulus cloud appeared yellow-ish when wearing the polarized sunglass, and I took them off for a second to see if it would make a difference, all of the sudden the cloud was no longer yellow and it was just plain white, and it was only that single cloud. I put my glasses back on and off, and the cloud kept switching between white and yellow.
Any explanation for why a single random cumulus cloud would change color with polarized sunglasses?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd guess that the different wavelengths of light were being scattered and polarized differently in that particular cloud at the time.

1. What causes really weird random effects?

There are many potential causes for really weird random effects, including random chance, unexpected variables, and errors in data collection or analysis. It is important to carefully examine all aspects of the experiment to determine the true cause of the effect.

2. Can really weird random effects be predicted or controlled?

Unfortunately, due to their random nature, it is not possible to predict or control really weird random effects. However, by carefully designing experiments and controlling for variables, scientists can reduce the likelihood of unexpected effects.

3. Are really weird random effects common in scientific research?

Yes, really weird random effects can occur in scientific research, particularly in complex experiments or with large amounts of data. However, scientists use statistical analysis and rigorous methods to identify and account for these effects in their findings.

4. How do really weird random effects impact the reliability of scientific results?

Depending on the magnitude and nature of the effect, really weird random effects can potentially impact the reliability of scientific results. However, scientists use statistical methods and replicate experiments to ensure the validity and consistency of their findings.

5. Are there any benefits to really weird random effects in scientific research?

While they may initially seem frustrating, really weird random effects can actually lead to new discoveries and insights in scientific research. They can also highlight the importance of careful experimental design and data analysis in producing reliable results.