Algebraic Extensions, vector spaces

In summary, if F/K is an algebraic extension with S as a subset of F and S/K a vector space, and s^n \in S for all s in S, then if char(K) isn't 2, S is a subfield of F. This can be proven by defining E = \bigcup _{s \in S} \text{span} \lbrace 1,s,s^2,...\rbrace and showing that E = S. The group (E,+) is formed by the fact that S/K is a vector space and each nonzero element has an inverse in S. To prove closure of multiplication, consider (s_1+s_2)^2 and show that the product of any two elements
joeblow
Suppose that F/K is an algebraic extension, S is a subset of F with S/K a vector space and [itex] s^n \in S [/itex] for all s in S. I want to show that if char(K) isn't 2, then S is a subfield of F.

Since F/K is algebraic, we know that [itex]\text{span} \lbrace 1,s,s^2,...\rbrace [/itex] is a field for any s in S. Thus, I want to define [itex] E= \bigcup _{s \in S} \text{span} \lbrace 1,s,s^2,...\rbrace [/itex]. Since S/K is a v.s., we have [itex] \text{span}\lbrace 1,s,s^2,...\rbrace \subseteq S[/itex] and since E is just a union of subsets of S, [itex] E \subset S [/itex]. Also, by the way we defined E, [itex] S \subseteq E [/itex] so E = S.

(E,+) is a group by the fact that S/K is a v.s. Each nonzero element has an inverse in S since [itex] \text{span} \lbrace 1,s,s^2,...\rbrace [/itex] is a field and each s belongs to one of those fileds (so that field would have the inverse of s).

The hard part seems to be proving closure of multiplication. Suppose that [itex] s_1 s_2 = s + v [/itex] for [itex] s_1,s_2,s\in S [/itex] and [itex] v\in F [/itex]. We have already shown that S contains all inverses, so [itex] s_2 = s_1^{-1} s + s_1^{-1} v \in S [/itex]. Whence, [itex] s_1^{-1} v \in S [/itex]. Obviously, I want to show that [itex] v\in S [/itex], but progress has stopped at this point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about how you can get an expression involving [itex]s_1+s_2[/itex] and [itex]s_1s_2[/itex].

Since S is a v.s., we get [itex]s_1+s_2[/itex] by vector addition.

For [itex] s_1 s_2[/itex] you have to multiply two linear combos in S (whose basis must be a subset of the basis for F/K). If the product of two basis elements of S is again in S, then the product of any two elements of S would be in S.

However, I do not see how to show this.

I'm not sure how to phrase my hint differently, so I apologize if this is giving away too much: Consider [itex](s_1+s_2)^2[/itex].

Yay. That makes sense why char(K) can't be 2 then.

Thanks a lot... why couldn't I think of that.

1. What is an algebraic extension?

An algebraic extension is a field extension in which every element is algebraic over the base field. This means that every element in the extension can be expressed as a root of a polynomial with coefficients in the base field.

2. How do you determine if an extension is algebraic?

An extension is algebraic if every element in the extension is algebraic over the base field. This can be checked by finding a polynomial with coefficients in the base field that has the element as a root.

3. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects, called vectors, and a set of operations, such as addition and scalar multiplication, that allow for the manipulation and combination of these vectors.

4. How do you determine if a set is a vector space?

To determine if a set is a vector space, it must satisfy the following properties: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, commutativity of addition, associativity of addition, existence of an additive identity, existence of additive inverses, distributivity of scalar multiplication over vector addition, and distributivity of scalar multiplication over field addition.

5. What is a basis of a vector space?

A basis of a vector space is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire vector space. This means that every vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors, and no basis vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the others.