Register to reply

Algebraic Extensions, vector spaces

Share this thread:
joeblow
Feb19-12, 06:07 PM
P: 71
Suppose that F/K is an algebraic extension, S is a subset of F with S/K a vector space and [itex] s^n \in S [/itex] for all s in S. I want to show that if char(K) isn't 2, then S is a subfield of F.

Since F/K is algebraic, we know that [itex]\text{span} \lbrace 1,s,s^2,...\rbrace [/itex] is a field for any s in S. Thus, I want to define [itex] E= \bigcup _{s \in S} \text{span} \lbrace 1,s,s^2,...\rbrace [/itex]. Since S/K is a v.s., we have [itex] \text{span}\lbrace 1,s,s^2,...\rbrace \subseteq S[/itex] and since E is just a union of subsets of S, [itex] E \subset S [/itex]. Also, by the way we defined E, [itex] S \subseteq E [/itex] so E = S.

(E,+) is a group by the fact that S/K is a v.s. Each nonzero element has an inverse in S since [itex] \text{span} \lbrace 1,s,s^2,...\rbrace [/itex] is a field and each s belongs to one of those fileds (so that field would have the inverse of s).

The hard part seems to be proving closure of multiplication. Suppose that [itex] s_1 s_2 = s + v [/itex] for [itex] s_1,s_2,s\in S [/itex] and [itex] v\in F [/itex]. We have already shown that S contains all inverses, so [itex] s_2 = s_1^{-1} s + s_1^{-1} v \in S [/itex]. Whence, [itex] s_1^{-1} v \in S [/itex]. Obviously, I want to show that [itex] v\in S [/itex], but progress has stopped at this point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
morphism
Feb19-12, 07:21 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
Think about how you can get an expression involving [itex]s_1+s_2[/itex] and [itex]s_1s_2[/itex].
joeblow
Feb19-12, 07:32 PM
Since S is a v.s., we get [itex]s_1+s_2[/itex] by vector addition.

For [itex] s_1 s_2[/itex] you have to multiply two linear combos in S (whose basis must be a subset of the basis for F/K). If the product of two basis elements of S is again in S, then the product of any two elements of S would be in S.

However, I do not see how to show this.

morphism
Feb19-12, 07:37 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
Algebraic Extensions, vector spaces

I'm not sure how to phrase my hint differently, so I apologize if this is giving away too much: Consider [itex](s_1+s_2)^2[/itex].
joeblow
Feb19-12, 07:49 PM
Yay. That makes sense why char(K) can't be 2 then.

Thanks a lot... why couldn't I think of that.

Register to reply