Happy 50th Anniversary - US and John Glenn

by Astronuc
Tags: 50th, anniversary, glenn, happy, john
Share this thread:
Astronuc
Feb21-12, 12:41 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
Feb 20, 2012 was the 50th Anniversary of John Glenn's historic orbit of the earth. Flying then orbiting in Friendship 7 (Mercury capsule), Glenn made 2 orbits before re-entering the atmosphere.

"The MA-6 mission was launched February 20, 1962. It made three orbits of the Earth, piloted by astronaut John Glenn, who became the first American to orbit the Earth."
Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Atlas_6

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/glenn50/

Seven years, five months later, on 20 July 1969, Apollo 11 crew members, Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, Jr, landed on the Moon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
dlgoff
Feb21-12, 01:40 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,704
It was an outstanding experience watching these early missions on B&W TV.
turbo
Feb21-12, 01:47 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
It was an outstanding experience watching these early missions on B&W TV.
Dere wasn't no other kind of TV!

russ_watters
Feb21-12, 02:45 PM
Mentor
P: 22,247
Happy 50th Anniversary - US and John Glenn

It irritates me that this is getting more media attention than Shepard's anniversary did.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb21-12, 03:05 PM
P: 2,179
I don't remember hearing anything about the anniversary of Gagarin's flight either. When Shepard flew, we went to the school auditorium to watch the entire flight. When Glenn flew, we watched the liftoff, and the recovery, but not the flight. I brought a transistor radio with me to school and between classes I kept up with the progress. I continued to to this for a few more flights, but they become too routine and took too long for me to maintain my interest.
Ivan Seeking
Feb21-12, 03:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,498
I was so excited I pooped my diapers.
Adyssa
Feb21-12, 08:34 PM
P: 188
I watched a bunch of documentaries and dramatisations on the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions quite recently, and I was awestruck with the enormity of it all, it's such a great achievement. I wish there was more interest / coverage in the space missions these days, and more space missions!

<3
dlgoff
Feb21-12, 08:58 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,704
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
I was so excited I pooped my diapers.
Being in a Mercury capsule on a Atlas rocket would make me poop.
turbo
Feb21-12, 09:08 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Being in a Mercury capsule on a Atlas rocket would make me poop.
Our school had one TV in the auditorium/gym, and we would get to watch each launch, and many of the recoveries. Most kids didn't have a TV at home, and the principal/administrator tried to make sure that we got to watch "important" stuff.

Register to reply