Internal combustion engines founded in GBR and car industry collapse

• Thread starter user079622
  • Start date
user079622
I try to find which ICE engines founded in GBR.

I find Perkins, Lister
In car industry I read all GBR cars have other's engines(BMW..), along the way why British car industry collapse?
Any other brands?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is GBR ?

• Sad
Likes Algr, Vanadium 50, BillTre and 2 others
Baluncore said:
What is GBR ?
You never heard for Great Britain?

yysw327718.jpg

Likes hutchphd and PeroK
The UK car industry collapsed in the 1970s because the class structure in Britain paid mechanics and labourers low wages. UK designed cars were expensive and higher quality, but labour-intensive. When labour costs rose in the 1970s, it became uneconomic to build and maintain UK designed cars. Labour strikes in the 1970s disrupted production. There has always been somewhere that can make it cheaper, by paying lower wages, then wages rise, and so the car industry moves on. The sequence has been something like: Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Malaysia, China, India, ...

Beginning in the late 1960s, overseas exports of UK manufactured vehicles were reduced by Japanese competition. That was done using clever accounting principles. The Japanese production lines, built cars for Japan and depreciated the line equipment during the day. At night, Japan built cars for export, without the cost of depreciation. That artificially reduced the cost of cars for export, without it appearing to be dumping.

• Informative
Likes phinds, Klystron, hutchphd and 3 others
Baluncore said:
What is GBR ?
Guaranteed Bit Rate. Guided Bone Regeneration. Please...no context! It will spoil the fun!

• Haha
Likes Algr and hutchphd
Baluncore said:
The UK car industry collapsed in the 1970s because the class structure in Britain paid mechanics and labourers low wages. UK designed cars were expensive and higher quality, but labour-intensive. When labour costs rose in the 1970s, it became uneconomic to build and maintain UK designed cars. Labour strikes in the 1970s disrupted production. There has always been somewhere that can make it cheaper, by paying lower wages, then wages rise, and so the car industry moves on. The sequence has been something like: Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Malaysia, China, India, ...

Beginning in the late 1960s, overseas exports of UK manufactured vehicles were reduced by Japanese competition. That was done using clever accounting principles. The Japanese production lines, built cars for Japan and depreciated the line equipment during the day. At night, Japan built cars for export, without the cost of depreciation. That artificially reduced the cost of cars for export, without it appearing to be dumping.
How do you know all that if you dont know what is GBR?
Baluncore said:
Rover exist?

What is with Jaguar and Land rover, who make their engines?

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes Dale and russ_watters
user079622 said:
How do you know all that if you dont know what is GBR?
Because I left the UK in 1965, when some cars had a GB sticker.

GBR must be some new code, that I am now too old to accept.
I ignore most TLAs.
Is GBR retrospective? Does it cover the period in the UK before 1970.

If you do not identify clearly the abbreviations you use, I will not risk investing the time needed to reply.

Likes Dale, Klystron, hutchphd and 5 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Guaranteed Bit Rate. Guided Bone Regeneration. Please...no context! It will spoil the fun!
Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 7.30.39 PM.png

• Haha
Likes phinds, Rive, Bystander and 1 other person
I don't know about "GBR", but "Great Britain" is not a synonym for the "United Kingdom" whose full name is the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

I don't know why the OP is making this distinction. That excludes the Delorean, for example. I don't recall where the TR7 was built - I wanted to love that car, but, well, let's just say that some companies looked at the reliability and quality of American cars of that era and said "Why?" Triumph asked "Why not?"

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
Vanadium 50 said:
I don't know about "GBR", but "Great Britain" is not a synonym for the "United Kingdom" whose full name is the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".
GB and GBR are used instead of UK in some international codes to refer to the United Kingdom, including the Universal Postal Union, international sports teams, NATO, and the International Organization for Standardization country codes ISO 3166-2 and ISO 3166-1 alpha-3, whilst the aircraft registration prefix is G.

In sports always write GBR near British flag and they call country Great Britain(even this is just island) not United kingdom of.....

The video in the previous post is not available in my country.

user079622 said:
Rover exist?

What is with Jaguar and Land rover, who make their engines?
Your OP title, and that question are ambiguous. The industry collapsed in the UK half a century ago. Many names were once companies, building their own engines, but have now become brands, owned by international corporations using one design.

1. In the OP title, does "founded" refer to the engine block and crankshaft "casting process" in a foundry, or to the "original corporate start" of engine design and manufacture in the UK.

2. Are you asking who designed, or who built, the engines?
3. Are you asking about now, or the period 50 to 100 years ago?

4. Do you use the code "GBR" retrospectively, before its first standardisation in or after 1974?
5. Did standardisation have anything to do with the collapse of the ICE industry in the UK?

Likes dextercioby, russ_watters, Astronuc and 3 others
Are you implying that having 43 different kinds of screw threads is not a good thing? Piffle...

• Haha
Likes russ_watters and Astronuc
hutchphd said:
Are you implying that having 43 different kinds of screw threads is not a good thing? Piffle...
Standardisation has caused more unemployment, and loss of national industry, than any other change in the last century.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
What does the term mean? Perhaps I misunderstand.

hutchphd said:
What term?
The term of your imprisonment?

Standardisation has certainly reduced costs to the end-user and driven economies, but it has also forced a flat playing field onto the global economy. It has eliminated industries from some nations, that are now totally reliant on the good-will of others. The savings in costs arise from not employing locals, hence the unemployment and loss of diversity.

Likes dextercioby
But the lack of standardization would mean that my computer (and all of its integrated circuits ) would need to be built by Ralph's "pretty good circuit shop" down at the corner. This might impede Moore's Law by a factor (or two). Of course I am not in the UK, but I happilly have two sets of wrenches for my variety of stuff. But the computer might suffer.
The world is not flat. I understand the sentiment, but the cost of local flattening is higher than I wish to endure.

Likes phinds, russ_watters and BillTre
hutchphd said:
Baluncore said:
Standardisation has caused more unemployment, and loss of national industry, than any other change in the last century.
hutchphd said:
Baluncore said:
What term?
The term of your imprisonment?
hutchphd said:
@Baluncore I'm a lifer. Standardisation
Baluncore said:
Standardisation has certainly reduced costs to the end-user and driven economies, but it has also forced a flat playing field onto the global economy. It has eliminated industries from some nations, that are now totally reliant on the good-will of others. The savings in costs arise from not employing locals, hence the unemployment and loss of diversity.
hutchphd said:
But the lack of standardization would mean that my computer (and all of its integrated circuits ) would need to be built by Ralph's "pretty good circuit shop" down at the corner. This might impede Moore's Law by a factor (or two). Of course I am not in the UK, but I happilly have two sets of wrenches for my variety of stuff. But the computer might suffer.
The world is not flat. I understand the sentiment, but the cost of local flattening is higher than I wish to endure.
I'm getting dizzy. I tried to click my Mentor lock-the-thread button, and missed. So dizzy... o0)

• Haha
Likes phinds
Baluncore said:
Or perhaps automation, and commodity prices to make automobiles affordable.

Not too many folks can afford a custom, hand-made car for $/£100k - $/£1+ M.

Likes russ_watters
hutchphd said:
Baluncore said:
Astronuc said:
Or perhaps automation, and commodity prices to make automobiles affordable.

Not too many folks can afford a custom, hand-made car for $/£100k - $/£1+ M.
I see several true facts/no falsehoods and I'll note the lack of explicitly stated value judgement in the second and third posts, while saying I agree with the first and implied judgement in the third. Yup, a mess of different standards creates jobs/work to be done and in my value judgement that's not a good thing. It's an inefficient/wasteful use of valuable worker resources and consumer money.

Likes Dale, phinds, Baluncore and 2 others
hutchphd said:
My French colleagues remind me that the difference between France and the US is that the US has dozens of nuclear reactor designs and one kind of cheese.

• Haha
Likes Dale, dextercioby, Rive and 2 others
Baluncore said:
Your OP title, and that question are ambiguous. The industry collapsed in the UK half a century ago. Many names were once companies, building their own engines, but have now become brands, owned by international corporations using one design.
Which companies in United Kingdom of Great Britain and North Ireland(homeland of Mr. Bean, Isac Newton and James Bond) made their own engines?
Baluncore said:
1. In the OP title, does "founded" refer to the engine block and crankshaft "casting process" in a foundry, or to the "original corporate start" of engine design and manufacture in the UK.
Second
Baluncore said:
2. Are you asking who designed, or who built, the engines?
3. Are you asking about now, or the period 50 to 100 years ago?
2. Both
3. from car industry beginning until today, last 100years..
Baluncore said:
4. Do you use the code "GBR" retrospectively, before its first standardisation in or after 1974?
I am using this code from time since Romans called that island Britannia.

Baluncore said:
5. Did standardisation have anything to do with the collapse of the ICE industry in the UK?
Standardisation of what?

Last edited:
user079622 said:
Which company in United Kingdom of Great Britain and North Ireland made their own engines?
The link in post #5 answered that question.

Baluncore said:
The link in post #5 answered that question.
So Aston Martin, Jaguar, Rover, Land Rover, Lotus,Mclaren,Rollce Roys,Bentley etc never made their own engines for production cars?

user079622 said:
So Aston Martin, Jaguar, Rover, Land Rover, Lotus,Mclaren,Rollce Roys,Bentley etc never made their own engines for production cars?
Where did you get that idea?
Most of those made their own engines at some time.
There are too many manufacturers, making too many models, over too many years, to give a simple answer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_car_manufacturers_of_the_United_Kingdom

Likes russ_watters, PeroK and Vanadium 50
Baluncore said:
When I was working in IT, I proposed writing a paper (for internal consumption within the company I worked for) on the disadvantages of over-standardisation, but was advised against it. And so the corporate juggernaut trundled on.

What standardisation you are talking about?

How much Brexit has to do that UK economics is falling down?

Let's be careful not to digress into a political discussion... Thanks.

Baluncore said:
The UK car industry collapsed in the 1970s
user079622 said:
Brexit
I think one can safely conclude that the UK car collapse was not caused by something that happened 50 years later.

• Haha
Likes phinds, BillTre and berkeman