Register to reply

X^2 + 5x + 25/4 is a perfect square trinomial?

by EricPowell
Tags: 25 or 4, perfect, square, trinomial
Share this thread:
EricPowell
Feb21-12, 07:05 PM
P: 26
In my pre-calculus math class right now we are learning how to convert the standard form of a quadratic equation to general form. There are just some questions that are about filling in the missing number to make the equation, what I assume to be, a perfect square trinomial. Is that what the question is asking?

The textbook gives the answer as being 25/4. I have no idea how I would go about accomplishing that.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2) Find a number that makes the expression a perfect square of the form (x+h)^2.

e) x2 + 5x + __

3. The attempt at a solution
I would think that I would have to find a perfect square whose root adds to 5 when multiplied by two. And I can not think of any such number.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
SammyS
Feb21-12, 07:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,808
Quote Quote by EricPowell View Post
In my pre-calculus math class right now we are learning how to convert the standard form of a quadratic equation to general form. There are just some questions that are about filling in the missing number to make the equation, what I assume to be, a perfect square trinomial. Is that what the question is asking?

The textbook gives the answer as being 25/4. I have no idea how I would go about accomplishing that.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2) Find a number that makes the expression a perfect square of the form (x+h)^2.

e) x2 + 5x + __

3. The attempt at a solution
I would think that I would have to find a perfect square whose root adds to 5 when multiplied by two. And I can not think of any such number.
Hello EricPowell. Welcome to PF !

Where did you get the 25/4 that's in the title of this thread?
EricPowell
Feb21-12, 07:39 PM
P: 26
NEVERMIND
Well now I feel silly...I never thought of thinking of 5/2 as being half of 5. 5/22 is 25/4.

Thank you for your efforts to help me though!

Mark44
Feb21-12, 07:46 PM
Mentor
P: 21,249
X^2 + 5x + 25/4 is a perfect square trinomial?

Quote Quote by EricPowell View Post
NEVERMIND
Well now I feel silly...I never thought of thinking of 5/2 as being half of 5. 5/22 is 25/4.

Thank you for your efforts to help me though!
And you want to write that as (5/2)2, not 5/22, which is equal to 5/4.

Register to reply