Register to reply

X^2 + 5x + 25/4 is a perfect square trinomial?

by EricPowell
Tags: 25 or 4, perfect, square, trinomial
Share this thread:
EricPowell
Feb21-12, 07:05 PM
P: 26
In my pre-calculus math class right now we are learning how to convert the standard form of a quadratic equation to general form. There are just some questions that are about filling in the missing number to make the equation, what I assume to be, a perfect square trinomial. Is that what the question is asking?

The textbook gives the answer as being 25/4. I have no idea how I would go about accomplishing that.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2) Find a number that makes the expression a perfect square of the form (x+h)^2.

e) x2 + 5x + __

3. The attempt at a solution
I would think that I would have to find a perfect square whose root adds to 5 when multiplied by two. And I can not think of any such number.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
SammyS
Feb21-12, 07:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,801
Quote Quote by EricPowell View Post
In my pre-calculus math class right now we are learning how to convert the standard form of a quadratic equation to general form. There are just some questions that are about filling in the missing number to make the equation, what I assume to be, a perfect square trinomial. Is that what the question is asking?

The textbook gives the answer as being 25/4. I have no idea how I would go about accomplishing that.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2) Find a number that makes the expression a perfect square of the form (x+h)^2.

e) x2 + 5x + __

3. The attempt at a solution
I would think that I would have to find a perfect square whose root adds to 5 when multiplied by two. And I can not think of any such number.
Hello EricPowell. Welcome to PF !

Where did you get the 25/4 that's in the title of this thread?
EricPowell
Feb21-12, 07:39 PM
P: 26
NEVERMIND
Well now I feel silly...I never thought of thinking of 5/2 as being half of 5. 5/22 is 25/4.

Thank you for your efforts to help me though!

Mark44
Feb21-12, 07:46 PM
Mentor
P: 21,214
X^2 + 5x + 25/4 is a perfect square trinomial?

Quote Quote by EricPowell View Post
NEVERMIND
Well now I feel silly...I never thought of thinking of 5/2 as being half of 5. 5/22 is 25/4.

Thank you for your efforts to help me though!
And you want to write that as (5/2)2, not 5/22, which is equal to 5/4.

Register to reply