Register to reply

The Career Prospect of Nanotechnology

by bills1911
Tags: career, nanotechnology, prospect
Share this thread:
bills1911
Feb24-12, 07:35 PM
P: 1
Hello PF, I am an aspiring chemical or materials engineer of whom would like to do a masters degree in nanotechnology. It looks as though it would have many many applications in the world of materials science.

As it is an emerging field, I would like to ask your opinions on where it is leading, and if it is worth hopping on the bandwagon for.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
chill_factor
Feb25-12, 02:51 PM
P: 887
many things use nanotechnology. all electronic devices, microscale medical devices and even many bulk materials depend on material properties at the nanoscale.

however this is what i have to tell you: in general the more boring and ordinary something is the more it gets paid except finance. that is because exciting things are new. except in finance and internet, new is not always better. in fact companies and governments in general do not like change, and through regulation actively discourage change except the type they like (the type that advantages them).

nanotech is exciting, thus the pay is low. from what i understand, the jobs in materials science are the guys who do mechanics of bulk materials.

Register to reply