Voltage drop across paralell resistor and capacitor

In summary, to find the voltage drop across a resistor and capacitor in parallel, you can use complex numbers to calculate the complex impedance and apply Ohm's law to find the magnitude of the resulting voltage.
teroenza

Homework Statement

Find the voltage drop across a resistor and capacitor in parallel. I am trying to understand how to deal with this using complex numbers. I may have a completely wrong notion of complex impedance. I thought I could treat the complex impedance like resistance, then take the modulus or real part (I believe I know the math, but not which to apply).

I= 100 milli Amps
R= 1000 ohms
C= 0.001Farads
freq.= 60Hz=377rad/s

Homework Equations

Z_c=1/(i*omega*C)

R_eq= (R*Z_C)/(R+Z_C)

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I apply the standard resistors in parallel formula then take the real part of the modulus? Or do I have a completely wrong conception on complex impedance.

Physics news on Phys.org
teroenza said:

Homework Statement

Find the voltage drop across a resistor and capacitor in parallel. I am trying to understand how to deal with this using complex numbers. I may have a completely wrong notion of complex impedance. I thought I could treat the complex impedance like resistance, then take the modulus or real part (I believe I know the math, but not which to apply).

I= 100 milli Amps
R= 1000 ohms
C= 0.001Farads
freq.= 60Hz=377rad/s

Homework Equations

Z_c=1/(i*omega*C)

R_eq= (R*Z_C)/(R+Z_C)

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I apply the standard resistors in parallel formula then take the real part of the modulus? Or do I have a completely wrong conception on complex impedance.

Calculate the complex impedance as you've suggested using the 'usual' formula for resistors in parallel. Apply Ohm's law to find the (complex) voltage that will appear across the net impedance when driven by the 100mA current. The magnitude of that complex quantity should be what you're looking for.

To be sure I fully understand, by magnitude you mean take the square root of (my complex quantity * its complex conjugate) ?

teroenza said:
To be sure I fully understand, by magnitude you mean take the square root of (my complex quantity * its complex conjugate) ?

Yes.

I would like to first clarify that complex impedance is a valid concept in electrical engineering and is often used to analyze circuits containing both resistive and reactive elements. In this case, the voltage drop across a parallel combination of a resistor and capacitor can be calculated using the following formula:

V = I * R_eq

Where R_eq is the equivalent impedance of the parallel combination, given by:

R_eq = (R*Z_C) / (R+Z_C)

In this formula, R is the resistance of the resistor, and Z_C is the complex impedance of the capacitor given by:

Z_C = 1 / (i*omega*C)

Where i is the imaginary unit, omega is the angular frequency (in radians per second) and C is the capacitance in Farads.

To solve for the voltage drop, you can use the values provided in the problem:

I = 100 milli Amps = 0.1 Amps
R = 1000 ohms
C = 0.001 Farads
freq. = 60Hz = 377 rad/s

Plugging these values into the equations, we get:

Z_C = 1 / (i*377*0.001) = -2.65i ohms

R_eq = (1000*-2.65i) / (1000-2.65i) = -2.65i ohms

V = (0.1)*( -2.65i) = -0.265i volts

So, the voltage drop across the parallel combination of the resistor and capacitor is -0.265i volts. This means that the voltage is a complex number, with a real part of 0 and an imaginary part of -0.265 volts. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is a valid result when dealing with reactive components in circuits.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of complex impedance and its application in solving circuits with resistive and reactive elements in parallel. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

What is the formula for calculating voltage drop across a parallel resistor and capacitor?

The formula for calculating voltage drop across a parallel resistor and capacitor is V = IR + Q/C, where V is the voltage drop, I is the current flowing through the circuit, R is the resistance of the resistor, Q is the charge stored in the capacitor, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

How does the voltage drop across a parallel resistor and capacitor affect the overall circuit?

The voltage drop across a parallel resistor and capacitor can affect the overall circuit by reducing the total voltage available to the circuit. This can cause a decrease in the current flowing through the circuit, as well as a change in the phase relationship between the voltage and current in the circuit.

Why is the voltage drop across a parallel resistor and capacitor important to consider in electronic circuits?

The voltage drop across a parallel resistor and capacitor is important to consider in electronic circuits because it can impact the performance and functionality of the circuit. It can also affect the accuracy of voltage measurements and can cause unwanted fluctuations in the circuit.

How can the voltage drop across a parallel resistor and capacitor be minimized?

The voltage drop across a parallel resistor and capacitor can be minimized by using components with lower resistance and higher capacitance values. Additionally, using multiple parallel resistor-capacitor pairs can also help to reduce the overall voltage drop.

What other factors can affect the voltage drop across a parallel resistor and capacitor?

Apart from the resistance and capacitance values, other factors that can affect the voltage drop across a parallel resistor and capacitor include the frequency of the current, the temperature of the components, and the quality of the components used.