Register to reply

Landau Level Broadening

by Muneer QAU
Tags: broadening, landau
Share this thread:
Muneer QAU
Oct9-11, 01:43 PM
P: 14
what is meant by landau level broadening in a magnetic field????
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Interfaces within materials can be patterned as a means of controlling the properties of composites
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
xiyangxixia
Oct9-11, 10:59 PM
P: 6
The scope of energy level get large.
genneth
Oct10-11, 08:04 AM
P: 980
In a magnetic field, the transverse momentum of electrons are quantised into discrete Landau levels, separated in energy by the gyromagnetic frequency. Each level actually contains a continuum of states. In the presence of weak disorder, this continuum of states spread out (in energy) and gives rise to a non-degenerate density of states. Since these states are two dimensional, Anderson localisation occurs, i.e. the localisation length diverges (logarithmically). However, since in reality the samples are not infinite in extent, in each "blob" which comes from one Landau level, the middle region will still be spatially extended sufficiently to perform transport, but the edges will be insulating states.

Muneer QAU
Oct10-11, 02:54 PM
Landau Level Broadening

thanks Genneth for this reply i am working on magnetotransport and have encounter with this term of Landau Level Broadening. i do not have idea of Anderson Localization please can you explain it simple term i read that landau level broadening occur due to impurity scattering how it occurs????????
Muneer QAU
Oct10-11, 02:55 PM
Thanks xiyangxixia can you elaborate the term the scope of energy level????
genneth
Oct10-11, 07:39 PM
Roughly speaking, impurities can cause the electron to become trapped, bouncing between different impurities. Making this precise was Anderson's Nobel prize. If you are well versed in field theory, Ben Simons (google for him) has a couple of good sets of graduate lecture notes on his website.
Muneer QAU
Oct11-11, 05:42 AM
Thanks genneth for such a nice favour :)
Muneer QAU
Oct14-11, 03:09 PM
i read that real and imaginary parts of a complex number can be separated by following equation
1/x+iη=P(1/x)-iδ(x)
where P is principal of x i dunt understand this equation can any 1 explain this?????????
genneth
Oct16-11, 09:24 AM
It is the Cauchy principal value. See http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/stcs...ipal_value.pdf for some notes.

Your equation is meant only in a distributional sense, i.e. they give the same thing if you integrate them with a test function.
AlexKryuchkov
Mar7-12, 05:30 PM
P: 1
Quote Quote by Muneer QAU View Post
i read that real and imaginary parts of a complex number can be separated by following equation
1/x+iη=P(1/x)-iδ(x)
where P is principal of x i dunt understand this equation can any 1 explain this?????????

the simplest example is if you have
\int \frac{f(x)}{\text{i$\epsilon $}+x} \, dx

so sometimes it is usefull to rewrite it in way
\int \frac{f(x)}{\text{i$\epsilon $}+x} \, dx=P \int \frac{f(x)}{x} \, dx-i \pi f(x)

where P means that you integrate in terms of principal value

Register to reply