Simple Analysis Question: Showing a Set is Closed

by tylerc1991
Tags: analysis, showing, simple
Share this thread:
tylerc1991
Mar8-12, 06:46 PM
P: 166
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [itex]S[/itex] is a nonempty closed subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], and let [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] be fixed. Show that [itex]A = \{d(x, y) : y \in S\}[/itex] is closed.

2. Relevant equations

A set is closed if its complement is open, or if it contains all of its limit points.

3. The attempt at a solution

I first defined a function [itex]f : S \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] by [itex]f(y) = d(x, y)[/itex]. Notice that [itex]f[/itex] is continuous. Then [itex]A[/itex] is not open because [itex]S[/itex] is closed (if [itex]A[/itex] is open then [itex]f^{-1}(A)[/itex] is open). However, this doesn't show that [itex]A[/itex] is closed.

I feel like I have the intuition, but actually showing this is frustrating. Help would be greatly appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
Giant crater in Russia's far north sparks mystery
NASA Mars spacecraft prepare for close comet flyby
micromass
Mar8-12, 06:54 PM
Mentor
P: 18,036
So, what definition/characterization of closed would you like to use?? I like the sequence definition, do you know that one?
tylerc1991
Mar8-12, 06:59 PM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
So, what definition/characterization of closed would you like to use?? I like the sequence definition, do you know that one?
I think so. That definition states that the limit of a convergent sequence is contained in [itex]A[/itex] if and only if [itex]A[/itex] is closed. So to show that [itex]A[/itex] is closed, I would start with an arbitrary convergent sequence of points of [itex]A[/itex], say [itex](p_n) \to p \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], where [itex](p_n) \subset A[/itex]. I then need to show that [itex]p \in A[/itex]. I am probably going to use the closedness of [itex]S[/itex] in this right?

micromass
Mar8-12, 07:07 PM
Mentor
Simple Analysis Question: Showing a Set is Closed

Quote Quote by tylerc1991 View Post
I think so. That definition states that the limit of a convergent sequence is contained in [itex]A[/itex] if and only if [itex]A[/itex] is closed. So to show that [itex]A[/itex] is closed, I would start with an arbitrary convergent sequence of points of [itex]A[/itex], say [itex](p_n) \to p \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], where [itex](p_n) \subset A[/itex]. I then need to show that [itex]p \in A[/itex]. I am probably going to use the closedness of [itex]S[/itex] in this right?
Yes. So take a convergent sequence [itex](x_n)_n[/itex] in A. We know that we can write [itex]x_n=d(x,y_n)[/itex] for some [itex]y_n\in S[/itex]. Can you show that the [itex](y_n)_n[/itex] is Cauchy?
tylerc1991
Mar8-12, 07:20 PM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Yes. So take a convergent sequence [itex](x_n)_n[/itex] in A. We know that we can write [itex]x_n=d(x,y_n)[/itex] for some [itex]y_n\in S[/itex]. Can you show that the [itex](y_n)_n[/itex] is Cauchy?
How about this: Since [itex](d(x, y_n))[/itex] is convergent, for all [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex], there exists an [itex]N > 0[/itex] such that
[itex]d(x, y_n) < \frac{\varepsilon}{2}[/itex]
when [itex]n > N[/itex]. Therefore, when [itex]m, n > N[/itex], we have
[itex]d(y_n, y_m) \leq d(y_n, x) + d(x, y_m) < \frac{\varepsilon}{2} + \frac{\varepsilon}{2} = \varepsilon[/itex],
which shows that [itex](y_n)[/itex] is Cauchy. Since [itex]S[/itex] is complete, we have that [itex](y_n)[/itex] converges to a point of [itex]S[/itex]. Then since [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, [itex](x_n)[/itex] converges to a point of [itex]A[/itex]?
micromass
Mar8-12, 07:24 PM
Mentor
Right. That's ok, I think.

Register to reply