Bachelor of science in geophysics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of enrolling in a PhD program in physics or computer science with a bachelor of science in Geophysics. The question is raised about the general requirements for a PhD and whether a bachelors degree in the same area of expertise is necessary. The speaker shares their personal experience and advice, stating that a degree in Geosciences should not be a hindrance in enrolling in a physics program, but for computer science, some additional preparation may be required.
FermatPell
Hello,

is it (generally, i know it depends individually) possible to enroll in a PhD program (in U.S.) in physics or computer science with a bachelor of science in Geophysics? i know there's no simple answer but does anyone know what the general requirements for a PhD are? Do most universities require bsc from the same area of expertise that one is going to do his phd in or its more flexible?

Edit: Sorry, i just realized there's "Academic guidance" subforum so this shouldn't be here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am doing Geosciences as my bachelor and I asked a few of my professors and they told me that I should have no problem in getting into physics. As for computer science, you might need to simply fill in the holes like learn a couple of programming languages before getting into it, but don't take my word for it, I'm not quite sure

1. What is geophysics?

Geophysics is a scientific discipline that studies the physical properties and processes of the Earth and other planets. It involves the use of physics, mathematics, and geology to understand the structure, composition, and dynamics of the Earth's interior and its surface.

2. What can you do with a Bachelor of Science in Geophysics?

A Bachelor of Science in Geophysics prepares students for a wide range of careers in the geosciences. Graduates may work in industries such as oil and gas, mining, environmental consulting, and renewable energy. They may also pursue careers in research, government agencies, or academia.

3. What courses are typically included in a geophysics degree?

Geophysics degrees typically include courses in geology, physics, mathematics, and computer science. Some common courses may include geophysics principles, earth materials, geologic mapping, seismology, and geophysical data analysis.

4. What skills are important for a geophysicist?

Geophysicists must have a strong understanding of math, physics, and geology. They also need to be proficient in computer programming and data analysis. Additionally, communication and critical thinking skills are important for interpreting and presenting complex geophysical data.

5. What are the job prospects for geophysicists?

The job prospects for geophysicists are generally positive, with a projected job growth of 7% from 2019 to 2029. Graduates with a Bachelor of Science in Geophysics have a variety of career options in industries such as energy, mining, and environmental consulting. Government agencies and research institutions also offer opportunities for geophysicists.