What courses should I take to become a physicst.

• Physics
  • Thread starter shaeshae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the speaker is new and has decided to major in physics at a community college. They are interested in astrophysics but are still exploring their options. They are struggling with math and self-teaching themselves the basics, but plan on taking calculus next semester. They are looking for recommendations on what courses to take and are also seeking a mentor. They have been advised to talk to a counselor for more specific information on the required courses for their major.
shaeshae
Hi, I'm new.

I'm enrolled in a community college and have decided to major in physics. I am really interested in astrophysics specifically but I'm not making any commitments yet. I would like to know what courses I should take. Any reccomendations and stuff like that.

Truethfully, math is very hard for me. I am self teaching myself the basics so I have a strong foundation. Next semester I will be taking calculus (hopefully). I just want to know a general idea of what should come next.

Also, if there is anyone out there who is willing to mentor me that would be AWESOME. I need someone who can guide me and be positive and also PATIENT. I'm a slow learner when it comes to math but this is just an obsticle I have to get over.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in engineering, not physics, but I know you need to take the entire calculus sequence (4 quarters, or 3 semesters) plus linear algebra and differential equations. You probably also need to take up through the highest physics course at your community college, which I believe is both semesters of physics in the engineering sequence, plus maybe one more semester. You really should talk to a counselor at your college, they would know what you need to take.

Thank you tpcqreq! And yes, I will be making an appointment with an advisor at my school I just wanted a general idea of what I was getting myself into.

1. What are the essential courses to take to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and other sciences. Some essential courses to take include calculus, classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also beneficial to take courses in computer science, statistics, and experimental physics.

2. Is it necessary to have a specific major to become a physicist?

While a major in physics is the most direct path to becoming a physicist, it is not necessary. Many physicists have degrees in mathematics, engineering, or other sciences. What is important is having a strong understanding of physics principles and the ability to think critically and analytically.

3. Should I take advanced courses in high school to become a physicist?

Taking advanced courses in high school, such as AP or IB classes, can be beneficial in preparing for a career in physics. These courses can provide a strong foundation in math and science and help you develop critical thinking skills. However, they are not necessary and you can still become a physicist by taking these courses in college.

4. Are there any specific courses that can give me an advantage in becoming a physicist?

Courses in areas such as computer science, statistics, and programming can give you an advantage in becoming a physicist. These skills are becoming increasingly important in the field of physics, especially in areas such as data analysis and computational modeling.

5. Are there any elective courses that can complement my physics studies?

Elective courses that can complement your physics studies include courses in astronomy, chemistry, and engineering. These courses can provide a broader understanding of the natural world and how different fields of science intersect. Additionally, courses in communication and writing can help you develop skills necessary for communicating complex scientific concepts to a wider audience.