Register to reply

Does the buoyant force change in different fluids?

by jayadds
Tags: buoyant, fluids, force
Share this thread:
jayadds
Mar16-12, 02:00 AM
P: 42
Given two objects of identical density and weight, one is floating on water and the other is floating on saltwater. Is the magnitude of buoyant force acting on the object the same in the two situations? From my thinking, it seems that the weight of the object in the the two situations should not change and so the buoyant force should not change as well (Archimedes principle). Correct me if I'm wrong in that thinking.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Michael C
Mar16-12, 03:16 AM
P: 132
If both objects are floating in equilibrium, the upwards force on each object (buoyant force) must be equal to the downwards force (weight), so you are correct.

The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the amount of fluid displaced, so the object floating on saltwater will displace less fluid and therefore float higher than the object floating on pure water.
Lsos
Mar16-12, 10:02 AM
P: 777
However, if the object was fully immersed in water, then the bouyant force WOULD be different.

Register to reply