Picard-Vessiot Extension over a Differential Field?

by KarmonEuloid
Tags: differential, extension, field, picardvessiot
KarmonEuloid
Apr8-12, 07:16 PM
P: 4
Given a differential field F and a linear algebraic group G over the constant field C of F, find a Picard-Vessiot extension of E of F with G(E/F)=G:

This isn't homework, just something I saw in a book that I was curious about. The author says that this can be shown but doesn't illustrate how. Can anyone help?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
morphism
Apr8-12, 07:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
Caveat: I know nothing about this subject. I checked Wikipedia for the relevant definitions, and I believe this works. First find a Picard-Vessiot extension E/F with G(E/F)=GL_n(C) (such a thing does exist, right??). Next, given a linear algebraic group G, view it as sitting in some GL_n(C)=G(E/F), and then consider the fixed field E^G (this notion makes sense, right??). If the Galois theory of Picard-Vessiot extensions works like normal Galois theory (i.e. if you have an analogue of Artin's theorem), then E/E^G should be Picard-Vessiot and G(E/E^G) should be G.

Note that this proof is identical to the standard proof that every finite group G is the Galois group of some extension. (The role of GL_n above is played by S_n here.)
KarmonEuloid
Apr9-12, 02:54 PM
P: 4
Quote Quote by morphism View Post
Caveat: I know nothing about this subject. I checked Wikipedia for the relevant definitions, and I believe this works. First find a Picard-Vessiot extension E/F with G(E/F)=GL_n(C) (such a thing does exist, right??). Next, given a linear algebraic group G, view it as sitting in some GL_n(C)=G(E/F), and then consider the fixed field E^G (this notion makes sense, right??). If the Galois theory of Picard-Vessiot extensions works like normal Galois theory (i.e. if you have an analogue of Artin's theorem), then E/E^G should be Picard-Vessiot and G(E/E^G) should be G.

Note that this proof is identical to the standard proof that every finite group G is the Galois group of some extension. (The role of GL_n above is played by S_n here.)
This seems to work to me. I reposted it on MathOverflow (giving you credit of course) to see if they could verify it (as that is where the question originally came from), although I would also appreciate it if someone here could check this or provide an alternate answer. Thanks.

morphism
Apr11-12, 11:29 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020

Picard-Vessiot Extension over a Differential Field?

I read a bit more about this topic and can now confirm that the above proof is correct, provided the field of constants C is algebraically closed. This assumption is apparently necessary for the analogue of Artin's theorem to hold for Picard-Vessiot extensions. See Chapter 6 of Crespo and Hajto, Algebraic Groups and Differential Galois Theory (AMS 2011), freely available here. [Also note: Exercise 7 shows that, for any n, there is a Picard-Vessiot extension E/F with G(E/F)=GL_n(C).]

I don't know what happens if C is not algebraically closed.

Register to reply