Register to reply

Paramaterizing a curve

by fleazo
Tags: curve, paramaterizing
Share this thread:
fleazo
Apr16-12, 04:26 PM
P: 66
Hello. I had always been annoyed when dealing with parametric equations but it finally dawned on me how awesome the concept it. I want to make sure I understand things properly.

So say I have a regular straight line given by rectangular equation y=2x+1

Now I can graph this. Now say I want to consider a particle moving in motion along the path of that line. But say I want that particle to move with exponential speed, say e^t, so shouldn't I then be able to paramaterize the curve to represent that? Is there any simple algorithmic process to do so?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
victor.raum
Apr16-12, 08:56 PM
P: 71
Sure, it's a simple procedure for straight lines. Your particle's velocity vector will be in line with the vector ##(1, 2)##, and will have a magnitude of ##e^t##. The normalization of ##(1, 2)## is ##(\frac{1}{\sqrt 5}, \frac{2}{\sqrt 5})##. The equation for your velocity vector will thus be $$\begin{align}v_x(t) &= \frac{e^t}{\sqrt 5}\\ \\ \\ \\ v_y(t) &= \frac{2e^t}{\sqrt 5}\end{align}$$

You integrate to get your curve (or in this case "line") parameterization, which in this case comes out identical to the velocity because of the nature of the exponential function: $$\begin{align}r_x(t) &= \frac{e^t}{\sqrt 5}\\ \\ \\ \\ r_y(t) &= \frac{2e^t}{\sqrt 5}\end{align}$$

Then you throw in a constant of integration to represent the fact that your particle doesn't go through the origin. We'll say that at ##t=0## the particle is at location ##(0, 1)##, so the equations become $$\begin{align}r_x(t) &= \frac{e^t}{\sqrt 5}\\ \\ \\ \\ r_y(t) &= 1 + \frac{2e^t}{\sqrt 5}\end{align}$$

If you differentiate those ##r_x## and ##r_y## functions you get the velocity functions. And if you take those and pop them into ##\sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}## you ought to get ##e^t##; that is, unless I made a mistake somewhere, because actually I rushed while writing this. Gota run!

Register to reply