243 parametric equations and motion direction

In summary: So x^2+ y^2= 1.The text is encroaching because it is commenting on the text rather than summarizing it.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
11.1 Parametric equations and a parameter interval for the motion of a particle in the xy-plane given. Identify the paritcals path by finding a Cartestian equation for it $x=2\cos t, \quad 2 \sin t, \quad \pi\le t \le 2\pi$
(a) Identify the particles path by finding a Cartesian Equation the Cartesian equation is
$$x^2+y^2=4$$
(b) Indicate the portion of the graph traced by the particle and the direction of motion
so if $x=2cos{(\pi)}=-2$ and $x=2cos{(2\pi)}=2$ then
$$-2\le t \le 2$$
and the particle moves in a clockwise directionView attachment 9217

ok, I think this is correct but I got the carresian equation just by ploting the parametric into desmos and saw that it was a circle with a radius of 2. the examples didn't the normal steps

also obviously I just pluged into see the direction of motion so...

I was going to try to use tikx on this but didn't how to use an interval be cute to put an arrow also

Attachments

• 243_11_1.PNG
    243_11_1.PNG
    1,008 bytes · Views: 74
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you really need to use "desmos"? If [tex]x= 2 cos(t)[/tex] and [tex]y= 2 sin(t)[/tex] then [tex]x^2= 4 cos^2(t)[/tex] and [tex]y^2= 4 sin^2(t)[/tex] so [tex]x^2+ y^2= 4cos^2(t)+ 4sin^2(t)= 4(cos^2(t)+ sin^2(t))= 4[/tex], the equation of a circle of radius 2. When [tex]t= \pi[/tex], [tex]x= 2 cos(\pi)= -2[/tex], [tex]y= 2 sin(\pi)= 0[/tex] and when [tex]t= 2\pi[/tex], [tex]x= 2 cos(2\pi)= 2[/tex], [tex]y= 2 sin(2\pi)= 0[/tex] so the particle moves counter-clock wise from (-2, 0) to (2, 0). You say "[tex]-2\le t\le 2[/tex]". I am sure you mean "[tex]-2\le x\le 2[/tex]".

Ok I didn't understand how the square got there

View attachment 9218

Why is the text encroaching

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190729-053654_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190729-053654_Chrome.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 65
Do you mean [tex]x^2[/tex] and [tex]y^2[/tex]? They "got there" because I put them there!

And I put them there because I wanted an equation in x and y only. I wanted to eliminate "t" and I knew that, for any [tex]t[/tex], [tex]sin^2(t)+ cos^2(t)= 1[/tex].

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that describe the relationship between two or more variables in a system. In the context of motion direction, these equations can be used to describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in motion.

2. How are parametric equations used in motion direction?

Parametric equations are used in motion direction to describe the path of an object in motion. By using these equations, we can determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given time.

3. What is the significance of the number 243 in parametric equations?

The number 243 is not significant in parametric equations. It is simply a variable that is used to represent a specific quantity in the equations.

4. How do parametric equations differ from Cartesian equations?

Parametric equations differ from Cartesian equations in that they use parameters (such as time) to describe the relationship between variables, while Cartesian equations use a single variable (usually x or y). Parametric equations are often used to describe more complex curves and shapes, while Cartesian equations are typically used for simpler, straight-line graphs.

5. Can parametric equations be used to describe motion in three dimensions?

Yes, parametric equations can be used to describe motion in three dimensions. In this case, there would be three parameters (such as time, x, and y) to describe the relationship between variables. These equations can be used to describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object moving in three-dimensional space.