Register to reply

How to find mass of giant star?

by tomjennings
Tags: giant, mass, star
Share this thread:
tomjennings
Apr22-12, 07:48 PM
P: 3
How would someone find the mass of an AGN when a solar luminosity is given? I know you can't simply use the mass-luminosity relationship since that only applies to main sequence stars, right?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
New mass map of a distant galaxy cluster is the most precise yet
Highest-precision measurement of water in planet outside the solar system
Satellite galaxies put astronomers in a spin
Steely Dan
Apr22-12, 07:51 PM
P: 317
Do you mean AGB star? And do you mean that its luminosity is given in units of the solar luminosity?
tomjennings
Apr22-12, 07:54 PM
P: 3
Quote Quote by Steely Dan View Post
Do you mean AGB star? And do you mean that its luminosity is given in units of the solar luminosity?
Sorry. I meant to say galaxy instead of star.

AGN = Active Galactic Nuclei

I am given a luminosity of 12 trillion solar luminosities, and I need to find its mass.

SHISHKABOB
Apr22-12, 08:39 PM
P: 614
How to find mass of giant star?

are those the *only* two things?
adam2000
Apr22-12, 09:36 PM
P: 6
good luck,man!
Chronos
Apr22-12, 10:28 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,359
Since luminosity is essentially a function of stellar mass, it should be possible to roughly approximate the mass of a galaxy if you know its distance and gross luminosity. This, however, is not a trivial matter. For starters, you would have to integrate its luminosity over its angular size. Nobody really spends much time trying to do this because there are easier ways to get a more accurate estimate.
Steely Dan
Apr23-12, 08:50 AM
P: 317
One way to do it is if you know the distribution of stars in the galaxy, assuming they are all main sequence stars (this is basically its initial mass function). Then you could integrate the distribution so that it is normalized to that total luminosity. I recall that if this is done for galaxies like ours, you get a roughly linear relationship between luminosity and mass, and the proportionality constant is of order 1 to 10. But I have never done the calculation. Furthermore, if the central engine is actually currently active, then that seriously complicates matters.

Register to reply