Register to reply

Why are all the OH opposite to each other in D and L glucose?

by sodium.dioxid
Tags: glucose, opposite
Share this thread:
sodium.dioxid
Apr23-12, 05:23 PM
P: 51
I thought D and L referred to the direction of the OH on the LAST chirality center. So why are all the other OH also switched up?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lucose.svg.png
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Building the ideal rest stop for protons
Direct reaction heavy atoms to catalyst surface demonstrated
Cagey material acts as alcohol factory
Ygggdrasil
Apr23-12, 05:37 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,378
Because D- and L-glucose are enantiomers (i.e. mirror images), their configuration is switched at all stereocenters of the molecule.
sodium.dioxid
Apr23-12, 05:43 PM
Quote Quote by Ygggdrasil View Post
Because D- and L-glucose are enantiomers (i.e. mirror images), their configuration is switched at all stereocenters of the molecule.
This makes sense. But then why do we care about the last chiral carbon?

Ygggdrasil
Apr23-12, 07:10 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,378
Why are all the OH opposite to each other in D and L glucose?

We don't. Like many thing in biology, the choice on how to name the different stereoisomers of glucose is somewhat arbitrary. It just turns out that, if you draw all of the naturally occuring aldohexoses in a Fisher projection, almost all of them have the same configuration about C5, so biochemists chose that position to use as the basis for the D/L nomenclature system.
sodium.dioxid
Apr24-12, 07:55 AM
You are too kind, sir.

Register to reply