An Infinite Time's Arrow is Impossible and Incompatible with Scientific Theory

by james.goetz
Tags: arrow, impossible, incompatible, infinite, scientific, theory, time
james.goetz
Apr28-12, 10:06 AM
P: 45
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
Zeno's paradox is based on the idea that space is infinitely divisible and Achilles never catches the turtle because it would take infinite time to cross the infinite number of infinitesimal points separating him from the turtle. If you replace infinitely divisible space with an infinitely divisible number of causal events, you have merely restated Zeno's paradox. Even Zeno knew something was wrong with this argument, but, not how to prove it.
Hi Chronos,

I see a huge difference. Zeno looked at a finite length such as a cubit and said that it is infinitely divisible and therefore nobody can travel a cubit, while in fact observation clearly indicates that uncountable animals have traveled a cubit. In my case, I observe the expansion of a flat universe and say that it will always expand and always have a finite size and age. Your comparison of Zeno's paradox and my observation is a false analogy.
thorium1010
Apr28-12, 10:23 AM
P: 198
Quote Quote by james.goetz View Post
In my case, I observe the expansion of a flat universe and say that it will always expand and always have a finite size and age.
I think the bolded part is important to understand that current observations appear that the universe will continue to expand that means it will expand infinitely and that includes time, there is no finite time in the future at which the universe will stop expanding (as per current observations).
james.goetz
Apr28-12, 10:29 AM
Quote Quote by thorium1010 View Post
I think the bolded part is important to understand that current observations appear that the universe will continue to expand that means it will expand infinitely and that includes time, there is no finite time in the future at which the universe will stop expanding (as per current observations).
Hi thorium1010: Yes, that is what I meant by "always."
james.goetz
Apr28-12, 08:06 PM
I posted major revisions at An Infinite Lapse of Time is Impossible and Unscientific
An Infinite Lapse of Time is Impossible and Unscientific

I plan to discontinue replies at this thread and pick up on that thread. Thank you for all of your contributions to this thread.
Jack Smart
Jul3-12, 03:05 PM
P: 6
Semantics. Time is merely the measurement (calibration) of change. No change, no time. The issue isn't whether time is infinite, but whether change is infinite.

The "arrow of time" is a misleading borrowing of a spatial term. Does change have an arrow? If you consider trillions of quantum particles all doing their own thing a "direction" - I guess it might.

www.thisistime.co.uk

Register to reply