Register to reply

Acceleration in function of time and distance

by sinnet3000
Tags: acceleration, distance, function, time
Share this thread:
sinnet3000
May1-12, 12:57 AM
P: 2
Here is something that has got me confused a lot of times.

Suppose I have a distance of 11m and a time of 5 seconds and I want to know acceleration.

I would say that [itex] a = v / t[/itex] and [itex] v = d / t [/itex] so I could plug the second equation to the first equation having: [itex]a = d / t^2[/itex]

Therefore I have [itex] a = 11 / 5^2m/s^2[/itex] but that is the wrong answer.

We also have [itex]x=x_0+v_0 t+1/2 at^2[/itex] so: [itex] a = 2d / t^2 [/itex] which in that case is [itex] a = 2(11) / 5^2 [/itex] and this is right.

But why is the reason that distance should be the double of it?? Can someone explain me please??

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Vibrational motion of a single molecule measured in real time
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
Curl
May1-12, 01:00 AM
P: 757
acceleration is not v/t and velocity is not d/t you got these wrong. Go back to the definition.
haruspex
May1-12, 02:53 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,791
In case it's not clear, Curl is telling you a = v/t is only true for constant acceleration, and where v is a change in speed and t the time over which it happened. Similarly v = d/t is for constant speed etc. Since you have acceleration, the second is definitely not valid.

Naty1
May1-12, 07:27 AM
P: 5,632
Acceleration in function of time and distance

We also have x=x0 +v0 t+1/2at2

IS a correct equation....in this case, however, the nomenclature looks a bit different from those explained in the previous post. You always need to consider the applicability of an equation you wish to use against the conditions in the problem you are solving...in this equation
x0 is a fixed initial distance; v0 is a constant velocity and a is a constant acceleration....[it's potentially confusing when two of the constants have a subscript yet acceleration doesn't even though it is also a [fixed] constant.]
sinnet3000
May3-12, 12:50 AM
P: 2
Thank you guys

Register to reply