Acceleration in function of time and distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion about finding acceleration using different equations and the importance of considering the applicability of each equation based on the conditions in the problem. The correct equation for finding acceleration in this case is a = 2d / t^2.
sinnet3000
Here is something that has got me confused a lot of times.

Suppose I have a distance of 11m and a time of 5 seconds and I want to know acceleration.

I would say that [itex] a = v / t[/itex] and [itex] v = d / t [/itex] so I could plug the second equation to the first equation having: [itex]a = d / t^2[/itex]

Therefore I have [itex] a = 11 / 5^2m/s^2[/itex] but that is the wrong answer.

We also have [itex]x=x_0+v_0 t+1/2 at^2[/itex] so: [itex] a = 2d / t^2 [/itex] which in that case is [itex] a = 2(11) / 5^2 [/itex] and this is right.

But why is the reason that distance should be the double of it?? Can someone explain me please??

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
acceleration is not v/t and velocity is not d/t you got these wrong. Go back to the definition.

In case it's not clear, Curl is telling you a = v/t is only true for constant acceleration, and where v is a change in speed and t the time over which it happened. Similarly v = d/t is for constant speed etc. Since you have acceleration, the second is definitely not valid.

We also have x=x0 +v0 t+1/2at2

IS a correct equation...in this case, however, the nomenclature looks a bit different from those explained in the previous post. You always need to consider the applicability of an equation you wish to use against the conditions in the problem you are solving...in this equation
x0 is a fixed initial distance; v0 is a constant velocity and a is a constant acceleration...[it's potentially confusing when two of the constants have a subscript yet acceleration doesn't even though it is also a [fixed] constant.]

Thank you guys

Question 1: What is acceleration in function of time and distance?

Acceleration in function of time and distance is a mathematical representation of how an object's velocity changes over time and distance. It describes the rate at which an object's speed increases or decreases.

Question 2: How is acceleration in function of time and distance calculated?

Acceleration in function of time and distance is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time or distance. The formula for calculating acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/(tf - ti), where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, tf is the final time, and ti is the initial time.

Question 3: What are the units of acceleration in function of time and distance?

The units of acceleration in function of time and distance are typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) or feet per second squared (ft/s^2), depending on the unit system used.

Question 4: How does acceleration in function of time and distance relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Acceleration in function of time and distance is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

Question 5: How is acceleration in function of time and distance used in real-life applications?

Acceleration in function of time and distance is used in various real-life applications, such as designing vehicles, analyzing the motion of objects in sports, and predicting the effects of gravity on objects. It is also used in engineering and physics to understand the movement of objects in different scenarios.