When do I use this k5 Kinematic Equation

• Thread starter EASports555
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the equation d = Vƒt - 0.5at^2 has four variables: d, vf, a, and t. If you know any three of these variables, you can calculate the fourth by rearranging the equation.
EASports555
Vƒ = velocity final
Vi = velocity initial
a=acceleration
t=time
0.5 = ½
^2 = squared
- = minus
d = displacement
Equation
d = Vƒt - 0.5at^2

Physics news on Phys.org
I look at your equation, and it has 4 variables; d, vf, a, and t.
I look at the list you have in parentheses and there are 5 variables (vi, a, vf, t, and d)
Clearly one of the variables in parentheses is not in the equation. Which one is it? That will tell you the variable that you do not have.

That seems to be the answer, but I do not see how that is going to be useful to you. Is this part of a more elaborate, or better stated problem? Are you trying to find the initial velocity? If you are, it looks like you will need some other equation.

EASports555 said:
Summary:: What Variable do I not have when I use this equation? ( Vi = velocity initial , a = acceleration, vf = velocity final, t = time, d= displacement)

Vƒ = velocity final
Vi = velocity initial
a=acceleration
t=time
0.5 = ½
^2 = squared
- = minus
d = displacement
Equation
d = Vƒt - 0.5at^2
With any equation you can find a single unknown quantity if you know all the others. The equation: $$d = v_ft - \frac 1 2 at^2$$ has four quantities. If you know any three, then you can calculate the fourth. This may require you to rearrange the equation. For example, if you know ##d, v_f## and ##t##, then you can find the acceleration by rearranging the equation to: $$a = \frac{2(v_ft - d)}{t^2}$$ And you can calculate ##a## by plugging in the known quantities: ##d, v_f## and ##t##.

1. When do I use the k5 kinematic equation for displacement?

The k5 kinematic equation is used when you know the initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time, and you want to find the displacement of an object. This equation is particularly useful for solving problems involving constant acceleration.

2. How do I know when to use the k5 kinematic equation instead of the other kinematic equations?

The k5 kinematic equation is most commonly used when you have values for all four variables (initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time) and want to find the displacement. If you have different combinations of known and unknown variables, you may need to use one of the other kinematic equations.

3. Can I use the k5 kinematic equation for non-uniform acceleration?

No, the k5 kinematic equation is only valid for constant acceleration. If the acceleration is changing, you will need to use a different equation or break the problem into smaller parts with constant acceleration.

4. Is the k5 kinematic equation only applicable to linear motion?

Yes, the k5 kinematic equation is specifically for linear motion, where an object moves along a straight line. If the motion is not linear, you will need to use a different set of equations, such as those for circular motion.

5. Can I use the k5 kinematic equation for negative values?

Yes, the k5 kinematic equation can be used for both positive and negative values. However, it is important to pay attention to the signs of the variables and use the correct sign convention when plugging them into the equation.