Register to reply

Time at which price doubles in inflation.

by PhysicoRaj
Tags: doubles, inflation, price, time
Share this thread:
PhysicoRaj
May3-12, 02:21 AM
PF Gold
P: 437
anybody knows how to calculate the period which a commodity which faces inflation takes to double it's price, without knowing anything except the rate of inflation? You must give a very shortcut method.
Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Social sciences news on Phys.org
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Precarious work schedules common among younger workers
Research shows over half of shared-path users frustrated by the actions of others
Bignose
May3-12, 03:09 AM
P: 15
If X is the rate of inflation - 100/x
PhysicoRaj
May3-12, 06:01 AM
PF Gold
Thanks.

phyzguy
May3-12, 06:14 AM
P: 2,179
Time at which price doubles in inflation.

Quote Quote by Bignose View Post
If X is the rate of inflation - 100/x
Actually, a much better approximation is the "rule of 72", which is that the number of years to double at an annual growth rate of x% is 72/x. This is because (1+p)^n ~ e^(np), and ln(2) = .69. A slight correction makes it 72 instead of 69. Try it. You'll find that (1+p)^(72/p) ~=2.0 for a wide range of p.
PhysicoRaj
May3-12, 06:36 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by phyzguy View Post
Actually, a much better approximation is the "rule of 72", which is that the number of years to double at an annual growth rate of x% is 72/x. This is because (1+p)^n ~ e^(np), and ln(2) = .69. A slight correction makes it 72 instead of 69. Try it. You'll find that (1+p)^(72/p) ~=2.0 for a wide range of p.
At last!!!!!!
I was waiting for someone who told me this rule! I wanted to know if this was familiar to all. Cheeeerup!!
Bignose
May3-12, 04:22 PM
P: 15
Is inflation compounded though? my dollar stays a dollar year to year if I hold on to it. If I take 2% off and its... I guess it makes sense to compound an inflation rate. Stupid trick question.
phinds
May3-12, 04:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,364
Quote Quote by PhysicoRaj View Post
At last!!!!!!
I was waiting for someone who told me this rule! I wanted to know if this was familiar to all. Cheeeerup!!
Indirection is sleazy. If you want to know something on this forum, just ask.

Register to reply