Register to reply

There is one cylinder and one metal plate. help me calculation of electric field.

Share this thread:
india
May3-12, 06:58 AM
P: 11
i have to design one shielding box. in that there is cylinder having high volatage +60kev. and box having metal plate. so i have to calculate the electric field on that cylinder and then decide , what should be the distance in between plate and cylinder. i have attach the geometry on the file. please see it.
Attached Thumbnails
ED problem.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
india
May3-12, 08:44 AM
Could anyone help me ?
mfb
May3-12, 09:45 AM
Mentor
P: 11,925
Can you use some approximation, like d>>R?
In that case, it should be possible to approximate the box as a cylinder, and calculate it like a cylindrical capacitor using Gauss' law (google should give you some ways to do this).

If not, a numerical simulation might be the easiest way to solve your problem.

india
May3-12, 09:56 AM
There is one cylinder and one metal plate. help me calculation of electric field.

yes, thanks ... bt i think i wl get that for cylindrical capacitor. bt right now i have another design.. bt i wl try for solving it.
btw what type of numerical solution that i should use??

Quote Quote by mfb View Post
Can you use some approximation, like d>>R?
In that case, it should be possible to approximate the box as a cylinder, and calculate it like a cylindrical capacitor using Gauss' law (google should give you some ways to do this).

If not, a numerical simulation might be the easiest way to solve your problem.
Bob S
May3-12, 03:16 PM
P: 4,663
For a cylinder and one metal plate, the capacitance per unit length is given by Smythe Static and Dynamic Electricity 3rd edition page 78:
[tex] C=\frac{2\pi\epsilon}{cosh^{-1}\frac{h}{R}} [/tex]
for cylinder of radius R with axis parallel to and at a distance h above an infinite plane. The problem of a cylinder between two conducting planes is given on page 105.
mfb
May5-12, 02:33 PM
Mentor
P: 11,925
Quote Quote by india View Post
btw what type of numerical solution that i should use??
A two-dimensional grid, for example. Use your favourite tool, plug in the boundary conditions for the potential Φ (box and circle) and the Laplace equation [itex]\nabla^2 \Phi = 0[/itex] in the vacuum (or air, as good approximation).

In excel, the result can look like this (I did this for a cylinder over an infinite plane orthogonal to the cylinder axis, and it uses cylindrical coordinates).

Register to reply