There is one cylinder and one metal plate. help me calculation of electric field.

by india
Tags: calculation, cylinder, electric, field, metal, plate
india
May3-12, 06:58 AM
P: 11
i have to design one shielding box. in that there is cylinder having high volatage +60kev. and box having metal plate. so i have to calculate the electric field on that cylinder and then decide , what should be the distance in between plate and cylinder. i have attach the geometry on the file. please see it.
Attached Thumbnails
ED problem.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
india
May3-12, 08:44 AM
Could anyone help me ?
mfb
May3-12, 09:45 AM
Mentor
P: 10,813
Can you use some approximation, like d>>R?
In that case, it should be possible to approximate the box as a cylinder, and calculate it like a cylindrical capacitor using Gauss' law (google should give you some ways to do this).

If not, a numerical simulation might be the easiest way to solve your problem.

india
May3-12, 09:56 AM

There is one cylinder and one metal plate. help me calculation of electric field.

yes, thanks ... bt i think i wl get that for cylindrical capacitor. bt right now i have another design.. bt i wl try for solving it.
btw what type of numerical solution that i should use??

Quote Quote by mfb View Post
Can you use some approximation, like d>>R?
In that case, it should be possible to approximate the box as a cylinder, and calculate it like a cylindrical capacitor using Gauss' law (google should give you some ways to do this).

If not, a numerical simulation might be the easiest way to solve your problem.
Bob S
May3-12, 03:16 PM
P: 4,664
For a cylinder and one metal plate, the capacitance per unit length is given by Smythe Static and Dynamic Electricity 3rd edition page 78:
[tex] C=\frac{2\pi\epsilon}{cosh^{-1}\frac{h}{R}} [/tex]
for cylinder of radius R with axis parallel to and at a distance h above an infinite plane. The problem of a cylinder between two conducting planes is given on page 105.
mfb
May5-12, 02:33 PM
Mentor
P: 10,813
Quote Quote by india View Post
btw what type of numerical solution that i should use??
A two-dimensional grid, for example. Use your favourite tool, plug in the boundary conditions for the potential Φ (box and circle) and the Laplace equation [itex]\nabla^2 \Phi = 0[/itex] in the vacuum (or air, as good approximation).

In excel, the result can look like this (I did this for a cylinder over an infinite plane orthogonal to the cylinder axis, and it uses cylindrical coordinates).

Register to reply