Conducting Cylinder vs Cylinder of Charge - Guass's Law

In summary, the conversation discussed the difference between two cylinders, one of which is a conducting cylinder and the other has a fixed volume charge density. The electric field inside the conductor is zero, while there is a charge density inside the other cylinder. The conversation also clarified the use of lambda and rho for charge density, with lambda being used for infinitely thin wires and rho for finite cylinders. It was also mentioned that the choice between lambda and rho depends on the problem setup.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 11.27.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 11.27.35 AM.png

I just have a general question about Guass's Law and the cylinders above. I don't really understand what the difference is between the 2 cylinders? They are both charged, but one of them does not have an electric field inside the cylinder because it a conducting cylinder? I don't understand the difference between the 2 above.

Homework Equations

Guass's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just something I wanted clarification on. Hopefully I am posting in the correct place.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of a conductor, there is no charge density inside the cylinder (it would result in an electric field that would drive the charges away - all the charge is on the cylinder surface) and in the other (cylinder of fixed volume charge density) there is a charge density inside the cylinder. Outside the cylinder this results in the same electric field but inside it it does not (as the enclosed charge will be different in the different cases).

Orodruin said:
In the case of a conductor, there is no charge density inside the cylinder (it would result in an electric field that would drive the charges away - all the charge is on the cylinder surface) and in the other (cylinder of fixed volume charge density) there is a charge density inside the cylinder. Outside the cylinder this results in the same electric field but inside it it does not (as the enclosed charge will be different in the different cases).
Ok. How will we know which one to deal with when doing problems? Will it have to explicitly say if it's a conductor or not? Or if we are given a charge density rho then we need to use the "cylinder of charge" formulas to solve the rest?

Also, I was a bit confused by the charge densities rho and lamba and when to use which. Do we use lambda for the charge density if and only if we are given a infinetely thin wire or line of charge? And rho when the cylinder or wire has a finite radius? This confuses me because the 2 pictures above show them using lambda which is Q/L, but in a homework problem like this:

"An infinitely long, cylindrical wire of radius R = 1 cm is centered along the ^z axis and carries a uniform volumetric charge density ρ_0." <-- Edit* This is supposed to be the symbol "rho"...

There is more to the problem, but basically it says to use guass's law to find the charge density of the wire. But the solutions uses ρ = Q/V instead of λ=Q/L like like we have in the equations above. Why is this? I hope I am making sense in where I am confused...
Here is the whole problem btw:

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 2.56.54 PM.png

I got the correct answer, but I don't understand when we are supposed to use lambda vs rho for the charge density...

Marcin H said:
How will we know which one to deal with when doing problems?
Obviously it depends on the problem statement about the setup.

Marcin H said:
Also, I was a bit confused by the charge densities rho and lamba and when to use which. Do we use lambda for the charge density if and only if we are given a infinetely thin wire or line of charge?
They are different physical quantities. The line density ##\lambda## is the charge per length of the cylinder and ##\rho## is the volume density, which is the charge per volume.

Orodruin said:
Obviously it depends on the problem statement about the setup.They are different physical quantities. The line density ##\lambda## is the charge per length of the cylinder and ##\rho## is the volume density, which is the charge per volume.
ok thanks

What is a Conducting Cylinder and a Cylinder of Charge?

A conducting cylinder is a hollow cylinder made of a conductive material such as metal, which allows electric charges to flow through it. On the other hand, a cylinder of charge refers to a charged object in the shape of a cylinder, where the charges are distributed evenly along its surface.

How does Gauss's Law relate to Conducting Cylinder and Cylinder of Charge?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges. It can be used to calculate the electric field produced by a conducting cylinder or a cylinder of charge by using a closed surface, such as a cylinder, surrounding the object.

What are the differences between a Conducting Cylinder and a Cylinder of Charge in terms of electric field?

A conducting cylinder has a constant electric field inside it, while a cylinder of charge has a varying electric field that depends on the distance from the center of the cylinder. Additionally, the electric field outside a conducting cylinder is zero, while the electric field outside a cylinder of charge is non-zero.

How does the shape and size of a Conducting Cylinder or a Cylinder of Charge affect the electric field?

The electric field produced by a conducting cylinder and a cylinder of charge depends on their respective shapes and sizes. For a conducting cylinder, the electric field is stronger when the cylinder has a larger diameter. In contrast, for a cylinder of charge, the electric field is stronger when the cylinder has a smaller diameter and a larger charge distribution.

Can Gauss's Law be applied to other shapes besides a cylinder for calculating the electric field?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to any closed surface to calculate the electric field produced by any distribution of charges, as long as the surface encloses the charges of interest. This includes other shapes such as spheres, cubes, and ellipsoids.