Register to reply

Can the modes of oscillating strings in string theory describe particle-wave duality?

Share this thread:
Olly_price
May6-12, 04:10 PM
P: 11
I'm not sure if this question is something that has been asked before or if i thought about it myself or if it's completely ridiculous!

But I was thinking, if, according to String Theory, particles are 1-dimensional strings that go through modes of oscillation, could they describe how a particle can also behave like a wave?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Dali
May6-12, 04:42 PM
P: 25
No. String theory builds upon quantum mechanics. It does not explain any quantum weirdness. The particle-wave duality etc remains regardless if one views elementary particles as point-like or very small strings.

Wave-properties of particles also takes place on a completely different scale than strings. For example, if a particle has two different possible paths from a source to a detector, one can see interference between those two paths no matter how far separated the paths are.

Register to reply