Working on different transparent polymer substrates that are semiporous in nature

by Rhydo
Tags: nature, polymer, semiporous, substrates, transparent, working
Rhydo
Nov5-12, 08:02 AM
P: 27
Hi!

My friends and I have been working on a project which encapsulates the use of semi porous transparent membranes that can selectively pass glucose molecules through them in one direction.

Does such a membrane already exist? Where can I get literature on the construction and/or existence of such materials? Also are such membranes used in contact lenses?

Any help would be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
New, more versatile version of Geckskin: Gecko-like adhesives now useful for real world surfaces
Researcher develops novel wastewater treatment fabric
epenguin
Nov5-12, 05:38 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,932
Quote Quote by Rhydo View Post
Hi!

My friends and I have been working on a project which encapsulates the use of semi porous transparent membranes that can selectively pass glucose molecules through them in one direction.

Does such a membrane already exist? Where can I get literature on the construction and/or existence of such materials? Also are such membranes used in contact lenses?

Any help would be appreciated.
Basically I think such a thing does not exist.
In dialysis substances like glucose pass through a membrane in both directions. But the result is that more will pass from the side where it is more concentrated to the side where it is less.
Then there is ultrafiltration where solvent passes through a membrane under pressure. Low MW molecules go with it and higher MW do not pass the membrane.

So on a molecular weight basis some molecules can pass slower than others. Probably there are membranes more specific about what they pass, particularly on basis of charge.

There is also electrodialysis.

Have a look at the commercial literature, brochures etc.
chemisttree
Nov6-12, 09:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
A good place to look is in the literature related to the encapsulation of Islet cells.

Rhydo
Nov8-12, 07:38 AM

Working on different transparent polymer substrates that are semiporous in nature

Quote Quote by epenguin View Post
Basically I think such a thing does not exist.
In dialysis substances like glucose pass through a membrane in both directions. But the result is that more will pass from the side where it is more concentrated to the side where it is less.
Thanks for that! We were actually looking for something that would allow glucose to move in just one direction. So 'dialysis tubing' was something that we were looking into. Now I suppose we can start with some experiments!
Rhydo
Nov8-12, 07:38 AM
Quote Quote by chemisttree View Post
A good place to look is in the literature related to the encapsulation of Islet cells.
I had no idea about this field. Thanks! This helped a lot!!

Register to reply