Register to reply

Should I be a Reactor Operator

by TheNE
Tags: nuclear engineering, reactor
Share this thread:
TheNE
Oct30-12, 08:14 PM
P: 15
I want to be on the cutting edge of nuclear engineering, but I am afraid that I might not have the genius necessary to do it. I'm in my first semester of taking NucE classes, and my Fluid Mechanics class is tearing me up! Not to mention my Fundamentals of Nuclear Science/Engineering class is starting to lose me. I've been trying to do good on my homework and have a B in my Fundamentals class, but I don't feel confident without an A. Should I consider finishing my degree and becoming a reactor operator? I have a C in my fluids class too. (Although I have a B in my Modern Physics class, a B in my Intro to NucE class, an A in my Reactor Operations class, and a B in my Statistics class) Does anyone have any wisdom they can impart on me? Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
TheNE
Oct30-12, 08:22 PM
I would also like to mention that my campus has a reactor that I can be trained to operate. Would getting my Reactor Operator License be a good idea? Senior Reactor Operator License? I'm really thinking about doing "reactor training" next semester.
nukapprentice
Nov3-12, 02:20 PM
P: 66
Just curious, where do you go to school and what is your current GPA?

Thermalne
Nov4-12, 06:56 AM
P: 263
Should I be a Reactor Operator

Honestly, what is cutting edge in Nuclear Engineering? Most of what I have seen is 1960s-1970s tech that we are just rediscovering or fleshing out the rest of the details.

Also, ROs live boring lives. Buckle down and get help. Don't give up just because you're hitting a wall with your NE courses. Fluids kicks everyone's *** (Mine too and I'm hoping to do a PhD in TH).
TheNE
Nov13-12, 09:33 PM
I'm attending Missouri S&T (Formerly UM(R)olla). My GPA is basically sitting at a 3.0.
Locrian
Nov13-12, 10:27 PM
P: 1,740
Quote Quote by Thermalne View Post
Also, ROs live boring lives.
And let's all hope it stays that way.
TheNE
Nov14-12, 08:47 AM
I'm also doing undergraduate research, but it's not going as well as I thought it would. I'm starting to make some progress though.

Register to reply