Intend to move to Canada for graduate studies

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of moving to Canada for graduate studies and asks for advice on the process. The participants share information about the requirements for studying in Canada and discuss their personal experiences and opinions about living in the country. They also mention the benefits of studying in Canada, such as lower costs, good schools, and lower crime rates.
Sould
Some of my friends and I intend to move to Canada for graduate studies(computer science, biology, archeology, geology, enviromental engineering), I really need as much advice as possible before getting there. Please help..Thanks

--Souldina--

Physics news on Phys.org
To study in Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/permit-who.html
I think you basically have to show that you can pay your way.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/

"Skilled Worker Self-Assessment"
I got a 80, but I had to fudge my french ability (none) and I assumed I had a job offer of some kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you

you are serious right ?
I could reach 52...failed!

But that was teh first time I took the test. I didn't try teh second time but I guess I would be able to move up to 90 or so if some other tries were made...

well as a student you can ignore the Skilled Worker Self-Assessment test. I would apply to various Canadian schools and ask the contact there how you can get fin aid (if you need it)

It is freezing as hell here in Canada,however weather in Vancouver never goes below 0 C, and overall is nice place to live.Rest of this country freezez for 6 months. :bugeye:

Its better to live in a cold place than in a hot one. I like cold cold place. When it gets cold, just wear a bunch of clothes and go out chilling with friends. In a hot country, you can not do something sillmillar like this. :-p :-p
Thanks kptr2 and tumor, Have yourselves a really funny and prosperous new year!

Last edited:
Thanks and same for You!
There is always bright spot when moving to Canada for studies.
First you going to save some cash(everything is cheaper), schools are very good, and appears there is less crime here.Ontario has very good Universities and Colleges.Good luck!

FAQ: Intend to move to Canada for graduate studies

1. What are the top universities in Canada for graduate studies?

Some of the top universities in Canada for graduate studies are the University of Toronto, McGill University, University of British Columbia, University of Alberta, and University of Waterloo.

2. What are the admission requirements for graduate studies in Canada?

The admission requirements for graduate studies in Canada vary depending on the university and program. Generally, they require a completed undergraduate degree, a good GPA, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT).

3. What is the cost of living in Canada for international graduate students?

The cost of living in Canada for international graduate students also varies depending on the location and lifestyle. On average, it can range from $12,000 to $18,000 per year for basic living expenses such as housing, food, and transportation.

4. Are there scholarships available for international graduate students in Canada?

Yes, there are scholarships available for international graduate students in Canada. These include government-funded scholarships, university-specific scholarships, and private scholarships. It is important to research and apply for these scholarships early on as they can be competitive.

5. What are the job prospects for international graduate students in Canada?

Canada has a strong job market for international students, with many opportunities in various industries such as technology, healthcare, and finance. International students are also eligible for post-graduation work permits, which allow them to gain work experience in Canada after completing their studies.