Continue with my AM PhD program or go into patent law?

In summary, the speaker is starting their second year in a condensed PhD program in applied math. They had to fight hard to reach this point and are now questioning if they should continue due to their lack of passion for research and interest in patent law. They have a legal background and are considering leaving grad school to pursue a career in patent law. They are also uncertain if they can get out of their funding contract without penalty.
tjackson3
I'm beginning my second year in my PhD program. I had to fight very hard to make it to the second year, as my program condenses the normal two year masters sequence that would make up the beginning of other programs into one year. They were also very eager to cut students using prelims, so the bottom line is that getting to this point was tough. That said, I don't want to fall into the sunk cost fallacy here.

My PhD program is in applied math. Because of last year, I have an MS in that field already. The trouble is that last year sapped a lot of my appreciation for the subject. I already know that I don't want to go into research; I'd rather go into industry. I'm looking around for a research adviser right now, and have a few on the line, but every time I talk with them, I find myself not really attracted to the thought of conducting research with them. It'd be a means to the end of getting the degree. The whole reason I've stayed is that I've convinced myself it couldn't hurt to give it, say, a quarter to see if it's something I'll enjoy or not (assuming I can get out of whatever funding contract I have). I am not very optimistic about this happening, but it's really all I've set myself up to do. I don't have any kind of outside experience in anything, including this field, so my hope was that some extra time in school would make up for this deficiency.

In contrast, IP/patent law issues are things that I'm extremely passionate about. I come from a legal background, family-wise, so that's kind of in my blood. I have a science background and would qualify for the patent bar.

So I guess what I'm looking for, aside from general comments, are:

1.) Does it sound like I should quit grad school now, or give it a shot? Would I be able to get out of it before too long without suffering some sort of penalty from the funding contract?
2.) Is patent law even a more viable option than grad school?
3.) Even if I weren't to go into patent law, from what I've said, does it make sense to stay in grad school?

Thank you so much! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still in limbo, sort of spinning my wheels. I have contact with a professor who seems interested in me, and I think I can get it to work... but I really just don't want to

1. Should I continue with my AM PhD program or go into patent law?

This is a difficult decision to make and ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. If you are passionate about research and want to contribute to the scientific community, then continuing with your PhD program may be the best option. However, if you are interested in the legal aspects of science and technology and enjoy problem-solving and communication, then pursuing a career in patent law may be a better fit.

2. What are the job prospects for someone with a PhD in my field vs. a career in patent law?

Both options have promising job prospects, but it ultimately depends on your specific field and qualifications. With a PhD, you may have opportunities to work in academia, government research, or industry. On the other hand, a career in patent law can lead to positions in law firms, corporations, or government agencies. It's important to research the job market and consider your own interests and strengths when making this decision.

3. Will pursuing a PhD hinder my chances of becoming a patent lawyer?

Not necessarily. In fact, having a PhD can make you a more competitive candidate for patent law positions as it demonstrates your expertise and understanding of scientific concepts. Many law firms and companies value the combination of a technical background and legal knowledge. However, it may require additional schooling and passing the patent bar exam to become a licensed patent attorney.

4. How does the salary and work-life balance compare between a PhD and patent law career?

Salaries and work-life balance can vary greatly in both career paths and are heavily dependent on your specific job and employer. In general, PhDs in research positions may have higher salaries but longer work hours and less flexibility. Patent attorneys may have more predictable hours and a better work-life balance, but salaries can vary depending on the size and location of the firm or company.

5. Can I switch between a PhD and patent law career later on in my career?

Yes, it is possible to make a career switch from a PhD to patent law or vice versa. Many people have successfully transitioned from one to the other. However, it may require additional education and training, such as earning a law degree or passing the patent bar exam. It's important to consider your long-term career goals and keep an open mind about potential opportunities in both fields.