What kind of engineering involves the most physics?

by qpzm77gg
Tags: engineering, involves, kind, physics
qpzm77gg
Oct21-12, 03:14 AM
P: 18
What kind of engineering involves the most physics? It focus on modern physics is the best.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
WSU innovation improves drowsy driver detection
Faster computation of electromagnetic interference on an electronic circuit board
bossman27
Oct21-12, 03:31 AM
P: 204
It's not easy to answer this question with regard to broad fields. It generally depends on the specific situation. For instance, an Electrical Engineer could be working on an embedded systems problem that poses more programming/computation challenges than "modern physics" ones. On the other hand, they could be working on how to reduce chip size without allowing quantum tunneling to affect reliability.

Are you looking for an engineering field to study? More specifics about what you're curious about would be helpful in answering your question.
sandplasma
Nov8-12, 11:23 AM
P: 25
No easy answer. It depends on the job I'm sure. If you like physics go into physics.

jasonRF
Nov13-12, 08:35 AM
P: 657

What kind of engineering involves the most physics?

If you are interested in doing physics, then as sandplasma says, go into physics.

If you are interested in applying modern physics to design new materials, devices, etc., then the primary options I can think of are:

materials science - much of materials science is effectively applied solid state physics. Some modern materials science academic research involves designing materials starting with quantum mechanics.

electrical engineering - semiconductor physics, materials design, device design. Lasers and quantum optics are sometimes in EE departments.

applied / engineering physics - can do similar work as all of the above, depending upon department.

Of course, here I am assuming by "modern physics" you mean that in the traditional sense where quantum mechanics is important. Cutting edge research in "modern physics" will only be found in physics departments.

If you decide to do engineering and are really interested in these areas, I recommend taking extra courses from the physics department (unless your engineering department is unusually strong with quantum mechanics courses).

best of luck,

jason
The Jericho
Nov15-12, 01:53 PM
P: 21
It depends on exactly what areas of physics/mechanics you are interested in. For instance if you're interested in condensed matter or optics, a Physics Degree will probably suit you most. In terms of Engineering though, the foundations for Mech or Aero Engineering Degrees are generally structural mechanics, aerodynamics, control theory, propulsion and design. They vary between institution as the strength of the course structure relies on the academic staff in the university faculty. I hope this has helped in answering your question.

Sincerely, The Jericho.

Register to reply