Probability for detection !!

by india
Tags: detection, probability
india
Nov21-12, 11:00 AM
P: 11
I have to calculate the probability of alpha particle or photon being detected by Si detector from the 241Am source. How to know no of alpha that can be detected from the 241Am source ?? source have acticity of 3.7kBq and distance between source and detector is 35mm. as well the area of square detector is 8*8mm2.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
Global scientific team 'visualizes' a new crystallization process (w/ video)
mfb
Nov21-12, 02:17 PM
Mentor
P: 10,795
Consider a sphere with a radius of 35mm - which fraction of the surface area does your detector cover?
If you have air or some other material between source and detector, alpha particles might lose their energy before they reach the detector.
india
Nov21-12, 06:02 PM
So there will be the vacuum inbetween source and detector. So there will be very less chance for energy loss of alpha, That can be detected at 35mm distance. Also there is no material in between.
Area of detector is 64mm^2, and distance is 35mm. So i think fraction of surface are covers detector (or fraction of total radiation) can be given by, A/(4pi*R^2)=64/4*pi*34*35 = 0.0042
Am I right ?
and If so, then How to get the probability out of it ?

Quote Quote by mfb View Post
Consider a sphere with a radius of 35mm - which fraction of the surface area does your detector cover?
If you have air or some other material between source and detector, alpha particles might lose their energy before they reach the detector.

india
Nov23-12, 12:33 PM

Probability for detection !!

So there will be the vacuum inbetween source and detector. So there will be very less chance for energy loss of alpha, That can be detected at 35mm distance. Also there is no material in between.
Area of detector is 64mm^2, and distance is 35mm. So i think fraction of surface are covers detector (or fraction of total radiation) can be given by, A/(4pi*R^2)=64/4*pi*34*35 = 0.0042
Am I right ?
and If so, then How to get the probability out of it ?
mfb
Nov24-12, 08:16 AM
Mentor
P: 10,795
If your detector is perfect, that ratio is the probability simply by geometry (and assuming your source emits radiation in all directions with the same intensity, e.g. there is no shielding in the source itself). If it is not perfect, you need additional data about the detector.

Register to reply