Reversing substitution

by piercebeatz
Tags: complex functions, substitution
piercebeatz
Nov24-12, 04:31 PM
P: 224
Hi guys... I'm probably missing something pretty basic here but I can't seem to figure this out. I was working on a problem recently: for the complex functions f(z)=ez and g(z)=z, find their intersections. This post is not about the problem, it is about something I noticed while tackling it (incorrectly).

Anyways, here's what I noticed: If you set these functions equal to each other, you get

ez=z

So, naturally:

z=ln(z)

From here I saw that a basic substitution was applicable, so the equation can be rewritten:

ez=ln(z)

Basically, what I have shown is that the function h(z)=ez-z has the same zeroes as the function i(z)=ez-ln(z). Now here's what's troubling me: what if the original problem that I gave you was to find the zeroes of i(z)? Originally, we obtained i(z) from h(z) by using a substitution, but is there some way that we can go in reverse from i(z) to h(z) using a "reverse substitution"? I'm sorry if this is rather unclear. Is there anything fundamental that I am missing?

Thanks a lot
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
Overcoming structural uncertainty in computer models
A new mathematics for experimental science
HallsofIvy
Nov24-12, 05:05 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,877
You can do, pretty much any whacky thing you want because everything you do starts from the assumption that z is a real number such that [itex]e^z= z[/itex] and there is NO such number.
piercebeatz
Nov24-12, 06:57 PM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
You can do, pretty much any whacky thing you want because everything you do starts from the assumption that z is a real number such that [itex]e^z= z[/itex] and there is NO such number.
Note that we are working with complex functions. By the way, I did find an answer to this problem, right now I am just thinking about reversing the substitution

pwsnafu
Nov24-12, 11:57 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 772

Reversing substitution

This is related to the Lambert W function.
piercebeatz
Nov25-12, 12:28 AM
Quote Quote by pwsnafu View Post
This is related to the Lambert W function.
pwnsnafu, like I said, I already solved the equation using the labert w function. Please read my first post carefully.
piercebeatz
Nov25-12, 01:56 PM
I guess this is kind of unclear. Here is the problem stated more clearly:

Prove that the system of f(z)=ez and g(z)=ln(z) has the same solutions as the system of f(z)=ez and h(z)=z

Register to reply