How change from one to another coordinate system

by soks
Tags: coordinate
Share this thread:
soks
Nov22-12, 04:26 PM
P: 5
Hello!

I have a problem. How can I convert a left part from picture which is in coordinate system
(r, s) to coordinate system (x, y) and then to coordinate system (ζ, η) (right part). I need Jacobian matrix because of integration some function above this region.

Any helpful links or answers are welcome.

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
meldraft
Nov26-12, 11:25 AM
P: 280
Given a parametrization for your new coordinates (e.g. x=r cos(t), y=r sin(t), the new coordinates are:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}x'\\y'\end{array}\right)=det(Jacobian(x,y)) \left(\begin{array}{cc}x\\y\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Where the Jacobian is merely:

[tex]J=\left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}&\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\\\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}&\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}\end{array}\right)[/tex]
soks
Dec1-12, 05:24 PM
Thanks for answer.

Is parameter t in equation x = r cos(t) angle phi in the picture?

meldraft
Dec3-12, 04:02 AM
P: 280
How change from one to another coordinate system

Yes, but this was the general formula. In your case, you are going from r,phi to x,y so you should take the inverse equations, i.e.

[tex]r=\sqrt(x^2+y^2) , t=atan(y/x)[/tex]

You would then have r,t on the left hand side of the equation and the new Jacobian times x,y on the other one.
soks
Dec3-12, 05:30 AM
Ok. Thank you

Register to reply