Register to reply

Astrophysics or Particle physics?

by QuantumJon
Tags: astrophysics, particle, physics
Share this thread:
QuantumJon
Jul9-12, 09:59 PM
P: 7
I'm very fascinated on both things. I want to study Black Holes, Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Stuff like that in the big world of Astrophysics, but I'm also very attracted to particle physics with the ways forces works on atomic scale, and how elementary particles work. I really have a hard time to decide what I want to pursue, and work with in the later years, but does anyone have any experience they might give out? In this case, which of these two topics are the most hot, and rewarding at the moment and which are the most fun?

- Jon.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
QuantumJon
Jul11-12, 08:42 PM
I can't sadly study both on University. We'll have to pick a specific area to work with when we're getting our bacherlor degree. There are Geophysics, Astrophysics or General Physics (In that specific area things such as: Particle physics, quantum physics etc.) so if you have to speak from your experience, what do you think is the future of science, and what is the most fun?

Dickfore
Jul11-12, 08:54 PM
P: 3,014
Astrophysics or Particle physics?

General Physics for undergrad.
Astronuc
Jul11-12, 10:20 PM
Admin
P: 21,915
Quote Quote by QuantumJon View Post
I can't sadly study both on University. We'll have to pick a specific area to work with when we're getting our bacherlor degree. There are Geophysics, Astrophysics or General Physics (In that specific area things such as: Particle physics, quantum physics etc.) so if you have to speak from your experience, what do you think is the future of science, and what is the most fun?
Normally, an undergraduate program exposes one to many areas with a scientific or engineering discipline.

One will study general physics, which includes statics, kinematics and dynamics. One will study classical mechanics and dynamics, thermodynamics, electromagnetic theory, electromechanics, optics, and other areas. And one will be introduced to relativity and quantum mechanics. One may have the option of taking courses in astronomy or space physics, as well as introductory courses in plasma physics and particle physics, astrophysics and cosmology.

By the time one is in 4th year, one would probably have an idea of a specialty.
QuantumJon
Jul12-12, 06:34 AM
In college we will work with Energy, Quantum physics (radioactivity, particles and so on), classical mechanics, electrical circuits, electromagnetism, waves (particularly waves like light and sound) and that's about it. When going to university, we decide a bachelor degree that we wish to take, say Astrophysics, General Physics or Geophysics. If you choose general physics, you will have to decide WHAT to be specialized in, when it comes to general physics.
Shailank
Nov26-12, 02:02 PM
P: 23
Quote Quote by QuantumJon View Post
I'm very fascinated on both things. I want to study Black Holes, Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Stuff like that in the big world of Astrophysics, but I'm also very attracted to particle physics with the ways forces works on atomic scale, and how elementary particles work. I really have a hard time to decide what I want to pursue, and work with in the later years, but does anyone have any experience they might give out? In this case, which of these two topics are the most hot, and rewarding at the moment and which are the most fun?

- Jon.
I have the same problem. I cannot decide which to take. Right now i am applying for physics with particle physics and cosmology. Only 3 universities offer this course :
1. Lancaster university, UK
2. University of Birmingham, UK
3. Swansea University,UK.

Register to reply