Paraconsistent Logics: 3 Trends & Another Approach?

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
In summary, there are three main trends in paraconsistent logic: weakening implication and eliminating the Axiom of Foundation in ZFC, doing away with type theory, and introducing a multi-valued logic. However, paraconsistent logic is primarily intended for handling contradictory information rather than solving paradoxes. Other notable approaches in this field include Belnap's four-valued logic and Priest's dialetheism. Some prominent figures in the paraconsistent community include Belnap, Dunn, da Costa, and Béziau.
nomadreid
Gold Member
From a survey of paraconsistent logics, it appears to me that there are three main trends:
(1) Weaken implication and do away with the Axiom of Foundation in ZFC, so that the more annoying paradoxes cannot be derived. (e.g., Weber)
(2) Do away with type theory, relabeling classes as "inconsistent sets", in such a way as to allow those contradictions which previously were eliminated by type theory (e.g., Carnielli),
(3) Introduce a multi-valued logic whereby the paradoxical statements receive a new truth value (e.g., Belnap)

However, one of the reasons for interest in paraconsistent logic is not only to solve the paradoxes (which are important for Foundations but of little interest to other practicing mathematicians), but also to be able to handle information taken from humans which, for one reason or the other, ends up being contradictory. This latter style of contradiction has nothing to do with the infamous paradoxes. So it would seem that another approach is necessary than the three outlined above. Are there any? If so, I would appreciate a link that is freely accessible on the Internet. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, paraconsistent logic is primarily intended as a way of handling contradictory information. The motivation for Belnap's four-valued logic is precisely that, rather than anything having to do with paradoxes. Afaik the one major paraconsistent approach that does intend to deal with the Liar paradox and such is Priest's dialetheism, embodied in the Logic of Paradox and its relatives. Other than that, paraconsistent logic has been pursued imo most prominently by Belnap, Dunn, da Costa and Béziau, so look into those.

Also, doing away with the Axiom of Foundations in ZFC doesn't seem to have anything to do with paraconsistent logic (as far as we can tell, no "paradoxes" can be derived in ZFC, so I'm not sure what you mean by "doing away with the Axiom of Foundation in ZFC, so that the more annoying paradoxes cannot be derived"), while "weakening implication" is (in the sense that A & ~A -> B is not a theorem) common to all paraconsistent logics.

Last edited:
Thanks, Preno, I will look into Dunn, da Costa and Béziau, as well as more into Belnap.
My grammar was a little off when I wrote (2), in that I meant that the weakening of implication disallowed the derivation of the paradoxes, and the elimination of the Axiom of Foundation in Weber permits sets which are members of themselves without subsequent explosion.
Curious: in the email notifying me of your reply, it was mentioned that you had never heard of Weber and Carnielli, but in the Forum this was taken away, indicating that you had edited that out by the time I got to it. My guess is that you looked them up in the meantime, right?

nomadreid said:
Curious: in the email notifying me of your reply, it was mentioned that you had never heard of Weber and Carnielli, but in the Forum this was taken away, indicating that you had edited that out by the time I got to it. My guess is that you looked them up in the meantime, right?
Yes. Carnielli seems to be a student of Newton da Costa, while Weber seems to belong to the Australasian school like Graham Priest. I removed that because my personal ignorance need not reflect on the actual state of affairs in the field of paraconsistent logic. (However, speaking as an outsider, it is true that Weber and Carnielli to me are not the most visible members of the paraconsistent community.)

As a scientist, it is important to consider not only the theoretical implications of paraconsistent logics, but also their practical applications. While the three trends mentioned have certainly made progress in addressing the infamous paradoxes and redefining sets and classes, it is important to also consider the potential use of paraconsistent logics in handling real-world contradictory information. This is a crucial aspect that sets paraconsistent logics apart from traditional logic systems.

In terms of another approach, there is ongoing research in the field of paraconsistent logics that focuses on the development of dynamic or interactive logics. These logics aim to capture the reasoning processes of human agents, including their ability to handle contradictory information and revise their beliefs accordingly. One example of such a logic is the Logic of Paradox (LP), which allows for the representation of changing beliefs and inconsistent knowledge. Other examples include the Paraconsistent Logic of Action (PLA) and the Paraconsistent Logic of Induction (PLI).

Furthermore, there is also research being done on the application of paraconsistent logics in fields such as artificial intelligence and cognitive science. These logics have the potential to improve the ability of AI systems to handle complex and contradictory data, and to better model human reasoning processes.

In conclusion, while the three trends mentioned in the content have made valuable contributions to paraconsistent logics, it is important to also consider the practical applications of these logics in handling contradictory information. The development of dynamic and interactive logics, as well as their potential use in various fields, shows promise for a more comprehensive approach to paraconsistent reasoning. I recommend exploring the work of researchers such as Newton da Costa and Dov Gabbay for further information on these developments.

1. What is paraconsistent logic?

Paraconsistent logic is a non-classical logic system that allows for contradictions to coexist without leading to an explosion of inconsistent statements. This means that in paraconsistent logic, it is possible for both a statement and its negation to be true.

2. How is paraconsistent logic different from classical logic?

In classical logic, the principle of explosion states that from a contradiction, any statement can be derived. This means that if a statement and its negation are both true, then any statement can be proven to be true. In paraconsistent logic, this principle does not hold, allowing for the possibility of contradictions to exist without leading to a breakdown of the logical system.

3. What are the three trends in paraconsistent logic?

The three trends in paraconsistent logic are dialetheism, relevance, and paraconsistency. Dialetheism is the belief that some contradictions are true, relevance is the idea that the truth of a statement is dependent on its context, and paraconsistency is the acceptance of contradictions without leading to logical chaos.

4. What is the another approach to paraconsistent logic?

The another approach to paraconsistent logic is called the "dual-intuitionistic" approach. This approach is based on the idea that there are two types of truth, "verum" (true) and "falsum" (false), and that both can coexist without leading to a contradiction. This approach is often used in the study of quantum mechanics and other fields where contradictory states can exist simultaneously.

5. What are some potential applications of paraconsistent logic?

Paraconsistent logic has potential applications in areas such as artificial intelligence, computer science, and philosophy. It can be used to create more robust and flexible systems for reasoning and decision making, as well as in the study of paradoxes and contradictions in philosophical discourse.