Register to reply

Need help with identifying antique machinery parts, are those gears or not?

Share this thread:
Romak
Nov30-12, 12:50 AM
P: 1
Good morning engineers.

I have a set of old patterns used for sand casting back in the days and I am wondering what kind of machinery parts they are. Especially, I would like to know if those are gears / cogs or something else. Any ideas?

Thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   03.jpg   04.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Ranger Mike
Nov30-12, 04:05 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,475
looks like interal part for hydraulic pump
AlephZero
Dec1-12, 11:43 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,175
They appear to be made from wood, and most wooden machines didn't have hydraulic pumps.

I wonder if it is one half of of a dog-clutch mechanism, i.e the rings slide along the shaft to engage in an outer "gear". But it's not obvious why there should be 3 rings of different sizes.

Or it could be part of the "pattern" used to make a mould for sand-casting metal parts. Pack the sand around the wood, remove the wood, pour in the metal. The "holes" in the end face of the wood could be where tools were inserted to remove the wood carefully without disturbing the sand.

There seems to be some writing on the end faces - does that give any clues what it was?

EDIT: Sorry - I read your post title "machinery parts" and missed that you already said they were casting patterns, not the actual parts.

Register to reply