Need help with identifying antique machinery parts, are those gears or not?

In summary, a set of old patterns used for sand casting has been found and the question is whether they are gears or cogs or something else. Suggestions include them being an internal part for a hydraulic pump, one half of a dog-clutch mechanism, or part of a pattern for sand-casting metal parts. The writing on the end faces may provide clues to their purpose.
Romak
Good morning engineers.

I have a set of old patterns used for sand casting back in the days and I am wondering what kind of machinery parts they are. Especially, I would like to know if those are gears / cogs or something else. Any ideas?

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 457
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 475
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 468
Engineering news on Phys.org
looks like interal part for hydraulic pump

They appear to be made from wood, and most wooden machines didn't have hydraulic pumps.

I wonder if it is one half of of a dog-clutch mechanism, i.e the rings slide along the shaft to engage in an outer "gear". But it's not obvious why there should be 3 rings of different sizes.

Or it could be part of the "pattern" used to make a mould for sand-casting metal parts. Pack the sand around the wood, remove the wood, pour in the metal. The "holes" in the end face of the wood could be where tools were inserted to remove the wood carefully without disturbing the sand.

There seems to be some writing on the end faces - does that give any clues what it was?

EDIT: Sorry - I read your post title "machinery parts" and missed that you already said they were casting patterns, not the actual parts.

Last edited:

1. What are the different types of antique machinery parts?

There are various types of antique machinery parts, including gears, pulleys, bearings, bolts, and screws.

2. How can I determine if the part is a gear or not?

Gears are typically circular with teeth and are used to transfer motion and power between two or more parts in a machine. You can also look for markings or numbers on the part that may indicate it is a gear.

3. Are there any specific features or characteristics that can help identify antique machinery parts?

Yes, there are several features that can help identify antique machinery parts, such as size, shape, material, and markings or numbers. It can also be helpful to research the manufacturer or model of the machine to narrow down the type of part.

4. What resources can I use to help identify antique machinery parts?

There are many online resources, such as forums and websites dedicated to antique machinery, that can provide information and assistance with identifying parts. You can also consult with experts or visit a local antique machinery museum for guidance.

5. Is it important to accurately identify antique machinery parts?

Yes, it is important to accurately identify antique machinery parts in order to properly maintain and repair the machine. Using incorrect or incompatible parts can lead to malfunctions and potential safety hazards.