Register to reply

Square root of a 0 matrix

by Bipolarity
Tags: matrix, root, square
Share this thread:
Bipolarity
Dec2-12, 03:19 AM
P: 783
At first I thought that there is no square matrix whose square is the 0 matrix. But I found a counterexample to this. My counterexample is:
[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

However it appears that my counterexample has a 0 row. I'm curious, must a square root of the 0 matrix necessarily have at least one 0 row (or 0 column)?

BiP
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
justsomeguy
Dec2-12, 04:05 AM
P: 166
Quote Quote by Bipolarity View Post
At first I thought that there is no square matrix whose square is the 0 matrix. But I found a counterexample to this. My counterexample is:
[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

However it appears that my counterexample has a 0 row. I'm curious, must a square root of the 0 matrix necessarily have at least one 0 row (or 0 column)?

BiP
The square of that matrix is the same matrix, not the zero matrix. Did you accidentally multiply when you should've added?
I like Serena
Dec2-12, 04:31 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,187
I suspect you intended the following matrix?
$$\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$
Square it and you get the zero matrix.

The same holds for
$$\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ -1 & -1 \end{bmatrix}$$

HallsofIvy
Dec2-12, 07:00 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,339
Square root of a 0 matrix

IF A2= 0 and A is invertible, then we could multiply both sides by A-1 and get A= 0. However, the ring of matrices as "non-invertible" matrices. It is quite possible to have AB= 0 with neither A nor B 0 and, in particular, non-zero A such that A2= 0.
AlephZero
Dec2-12, 11:48 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,953
The "square root of a matrix" isn't a very useful idea for general matrices, because it is hardly ever unique. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_root_of_a_matrix for the sort of (probably unexpected) things that can happen.

However the positive definite square root of a positive definite matrix (called its "principal square root") is unique, and sometimes useful.

If A is a symmetric matrix, finding B such that A = BB^T, is even more useful. B has most of the useful properties of the "square root or A", even when it is not a symmetric matrix.
Bipolarity
Dec2-12, 12:37 PM
P: 783
Thank you all for your replies! Sorry for my mistake but I get it now!!

HallsofIvy, does your post essentially prove that square roots of the 0 matrix must be singular?

BiP

Register to reply