General Method for Mapping an Ellipsoid to Unit Sphere

In summary, the person has been working on a problem involving mapping points on an ellipsoid to a sphere of arbitrary size. They are trying to determine the A matrix for this transformation, and are having difficulty with the rotation and scaling aspect. They have an intuitive understanding of the c offset and have tried using eigenvectors and eigenvalues to solve the problem, but have not had success. They have also come across a complex equation for finding the A matrix, but are unsure of its meaning and how to derive it. The expert suggests using matrix transformations for rotation and scaling, and then using the given formula to shift the points to the corresponding points on the sphere. They also mention that the complicated equation may not be necessary for this problem.
StochasticSignal
TL;DR Summary
How do I map vectors that satisfy an ellipsoid to those that satisfy a sphere?
I have been working on a problem for a while and my progress has slowed enough I figured I'd try reaching out for some more experience. I am trying to map a point on an ellipsoid to its corresponding point on a sphere of arbitrary size centered at the origin. I would like to be able to shift any point with the following formula:
$$p_{sphere} = \mathbf A (p_{ellipsoid} - c)$$
I am trying to determine the A matrix that will transform a point from a fully defined ellipsoid E matrix.

Where an ellipsoid (or other quadric surface) can be defined with the following:
$$
\left[
\begin{matrix}
x & y & z & 1\\
\end{matrix}
\right]
\mathbf E
\left[
\begin{matrix}
x\\
y\\
z\\
1\\
\end{matrix}
\right]
=
$$
$$
Where\
\mathbf E =
\begin{pmatrix}
a & h & g & p\\
h & b & f & q\\
g & f & c & r\\
p & q & r & d
\end{pmatrix}
=
\left[
\begin{array}{c|c}
\mathbf M_{3x3} & \vec{\mathbf n}\\
\hline
\vec{\mathbf n}^T & d\\
\end{array}
\right]
$$
And c can be determined like so:
$$
c = -\mathbf M^{-1}\vec{\mathbf n}
$$
Determining the c offset is straightforward and I have an intuitive understanding of that derivation. However, rotating and scaling the ellipsoid is the part that is escaping me. Applying different combinations of eigenvectors and eigenvalues in ways that I thought would make sense do not deliver the results I am expecting (hoping) for.

In some other discussions I have had, the following equation can be used to find the A matrix:
$$
\mathbf A = \frac{F}{\sqrt{\vec{\mathbf n}^T \mathbf M^{-1} \vec{\mathbf n} - d}} \mathbf M^{1/2}$$
Where ##M^{1/2}## is the matrix square root of M and F is a chosen sphere radius. However, I have no intuition for the mathematical meaning of this equation, how to arrive at it, or even a sense of what it's saying.

If someone has some advice on how to approach this problem, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share it with me.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your problem. It sounds like you have put a lot of effort into trying to solve this and I am happy to offer some advice.

First of all, it's great that you have a good understanding of the c offset and how to determine it. That is an important step in the process. Now, for the rotation and scaling part, I would recommend approaching it using matrix transformations.

To rotate an ellipsoid, you can use the rotation matrix. This matrix will rotate the ellipsoid around the origin by a certain angle. You can use this matrix to rotate your ellipsoid to the desired orientation.

Next, for scaling, you can use the scaling matrix. This matrix will scale the ellipsoid along the x, y, and z axes. You can choose the scaling factors based on the desired size of your sphere.

Once you have applied the rotation and scaling transformations to your ellipsoid, you can use the formula you mentioned to shift the points to the corresponding points on the sphere. The A matrix in this formula represents the combined rotation and scaling transformations.

As for the equation you mentioned for finding the A matrix, it is a bit complex and may not be necessary for your problem. It seems to be a combination of the rotation and scaling matrices, but it may be more complicated than what you need.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas on how to approach your problem. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of mapping an ellipsoid to a unit sphere?

The purpose of mapping an ellipsoid to a unit sphere is to transform a three-dimensional shape into a simpler, more uniform shape that is easier to analyze and work with mathematically. This can be useful in various fields such as geodesy, cartography, and computer graphics.

2. How does the general method for mapping an ellipsoid to a unit sphere work?

The general method involves using a mathematical formula to transform the coordinates of points on the surface of the ellipsoid to coordinates on the surface of the unit sphere. This is typically done by scaling and rotating the coordinates to align with the axes of the unit sphere.

3. What are the benefits of using this method?

Using this method allows for easier calculations and analysis of the ellipsoid's properties, as the unit sphere has a simpler and more uniform shape. It also allows for easier comparison and visualization of different ellipsoids.

4. Are there any limitations to this method?

One limitation of this method is that it assumes the ellipsoid is a perfect shape with no irregularities or deformations. In reality, most ellipsoids are not perfect and may have variations in their shape. Additionally, this method may not work for all types of ellipsoids, such as those with extreme eccentricity.

5. How is this method used in real-world applications?

This method is commonly used in geodesy and cartography to represent the Earth's surface as a unit sphere, making it easier to measure and map. It is also used in computer graphics to represent three-dimensional objects in a simpler and more efficient way for rendering and animation.