String endpoints move at light speed-?

In summary, the endpoints of an open string in string theory are said to move at the speed of light according to various sources, but there is no clear explanation as to what this means or why it happens. Some have questioned whether the endpoints are vibrating in a tiny space or if they are massless to avoid violating relativity, but this remains unclear. Ultimately, the concept of mass is defined by the string vibrations rather than the string itself, and it may be difficult to fully understand the reason behind the movement of endpoints at light speed.
gabeeisenstei
string endpoints move at light speed--?

In Zweibach's introduction to string theory I encounter the assertion that the endpoints of an open string move at the speed of light. A few other sources on the web agree with this. But nobody bothers to tell me what the heck it means (not even in https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-49119.html , where it is stated that only the endpoints move at light speed, not the rest of it).

Where are the endpoints going so fast? Are they just vibrating in a tiny space? Are the endpoints massless, so as not to violate relativity?
What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org

gabeeisenstei said:
In Zweibach's introduction to string theory I encounter the assertion that the endpoints of an open string move at the speed of light. A few other sources on the web agree with this. But nobody bothers to tell me what the heck it means (not even in https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-49119.html , where it is stated that only the endpoints move at light speed, not the rest of it).

Where are the endpoints going so fast? Are they just vibrating in a tiny space? Are the endpoints massless, so as not to violate relativity?
What am I missing?
It's a nice question. Remember that "mass" is a property of the string vibrations, not of the string itself (perhaps something like that is defined in string field theory, but I'm not acquinted with that)! So I'm not sure what "massless endpoints" would mean.

But can't you ask the same question for, e.g. gravitons? It's a consequence of the dynamics, so I'm not even sure what the "why"-question means.

Related to String endpoints move at light speed-?

1. How does the speed of light affect string endpoints?

The speed of light is the fastest speed at which energy can travel in the universe. Since strings are made up of energy, their endpoints are also limited to moving at the speed of light.

2. Can string endpoints actually move at the speed of light?

According to string theory, strings are one-dimensional objects that vibrate at the speed of light. However, due to the uncertainty principle, their exact location cannot be determined, making it impossible to measure their speed accurately.

3. What implications does this have for the laws of physics?

The concept of string endpoints moving at light speed is a fundamental principle of string theory, which aims to unify the laws of physics. It suggests that the speed of light is not just a limit for particles, but also for objects like strings.

4. How does this relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that the speed of light is constant and is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This is consistent with the idea of string endpoints moving at light speed, as they are also governed by the same principle.

5. Are there any experiments that have been conducted to test this concept?

Currently, there are no experiments that directly test the concept of string endpoints moving at light speed. However, various experiments have been conducted to indirectly support the principles of string theory, such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.